[program-java] Re: Java certification

  • From: Richard Baldwin <baldwin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: program-java@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2011 14:14:32 -0600

I'm not blind.

If you examine my website carefully (http://www.dickbaldwin.com/toc.htm),
you will see that I began publishing online Java tutorials in 1997, which I
believe, was before Java certification from Sun was even available.

During the past 14 years, I have published more than 600 free online Java
tutorials ranging from Java fundamentals (
http://www.dickbaldwin.com/tocknowledge.htm) to such topics as Adaptive
Prediction using Java (
http://www.developer.com/java/other/article.php/3610806) and Redeye
Correction in Digital Photographs (
http://www.dickbaldwin.com/java/Java363.htm).

During that period, I have taught object-oriented programming to
approximately1500 students using Java, C#, and C++.

My most recent Java programming effort is a freely downloadable program
named SVGDraw01, which makes it possible for blind students to draw just
about anything they can imagine (
http://www.austincc.edu/baldwin/SWT-SVG/SVGDraw01.zip). In order to write
that program and make it accessible, I had to learn to program using SWT
instead of Swing. That was interesting.

I am currently in the process of publishing new course material for a
course titled Mathematical Applications for Game Development at
http://www.access2science.com/rbg/ I am striving to make that material as
accessible as possible, which increases the time and effort required to
write the material by at least a factor of five.

I recently published Accessible Physics Concepts for Blind Students at
http://cnx.org/content/col11294/latest/, which was showcased in "How a
Professor Gave a Blind Student a New Outlook on Science" at
http://chronicle.com/blogs/wiredcampus/how-a-professor-gave-a-blind-student-a-new-outlook-on-science/34424

I believe you are the first person ever to ask if I am certified. I am
not. I have never felt the need to spend the money to take the
certification test.

Dick Baldwin