[program-java] FW: Need someone patient to get me started with Eclipse

  • From: "Corbett, James" <James.Corbett@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'program-java@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <program-java@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2011 10:11:22 -0400

I have forwarded this to the list with John's permission so that others might
benefit from this discussion.

This is dependent upon your version of Eclipse but the basics should hold true.

With regards to the single line of imports, it's due to a default setting.
Actually all of the imports are there if you want to spend the time searching
but here's a fix....

Open the "Preferences" page usually found under \Window\Preferences\

You will note that there will be a tree view control presented to you and if
it's the first time through then you will be placed on the top node of the tree
titled "General".

Scroll the tree view to locate the parent node titled "Java". Expand the note
and locate the child node "Editor". Expand and locate "Folding".

You need to use the TAB key at this point, so press it twice and locate "Enable
Folding". It's a check box and by default is checked. So then uncheck it, click
apply and then OK.

I have personally found that I needed to close the Eclipse program and relaunch
it to have some preferences loaded so it's just my way of doing things.

Next you might want to use CTRL + SHIFT + O to organize your imports. Note that
you must do this for each class it's not a global thing.

In the Preferences tree view once again, locate the Editor node as with above
and then locate "Typing".

Using the TAB key, locate the "TAB Key" checkbox and insure that it is indeed
checked. Tab again to locate the value for the indentation. Insure that the
value is that of the one you desire. If not then see below. Next TAB to "Adjust
Indentation" checkbox and ensure that it as well is checked. Click apply and
then OK.

Now for the TAB value, once again under the "Preferences" tree view locate
"Java" then "Code Style", then "Formatter".

With the TAB Key locate, "Edit" button. Click it and you should be placed on an
edit field that will permit you to change the value of the tab. Note that you
must be editing the Eclipse Built In active profile.

So there you go, try it and remember that I'm using Eclipse 3.3 so your package
may alter slightly.

Jim