[procps] Re: procps changes

  • From: Sami Kerola <kerolasa@xxxxxx>
  • To: procps@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2011 13:55:44 +0200

On Thu, Sep 29, 2011 at 10:07, Jim Warner <james.warner@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Please notice that OOMEM_ENABLE should be converted to autotools
>> directive such as
>>
>> ./configure --enable-oomem
>
> That define affects the library and top.  It's for Dr. Fink at Suse and
> should probably be integrated.  The other top defines are not important.

If that's all what is done with defines getting the enable working
just a few lines change.

https://gitorious.org/~kerolasa/procps/sami-procps-ng/commit/bb547be50a0a45f61ab95ad60ed7c5f40b7c9ca0

> Other than possibly promoting top from /usr/bin to /bin, I'd say we're ready
> to go.

Does anyone care, both are in every ones PATH? If I look wiki article
about files system hierarchy it says:

/bin/  Essential command binaries that need to be available in single
user mode; for all users, e.g., cat, ls, cp.

/usr/bin/  Non-essential command binaries (not needed in single user
mode); for all users.

and assuming that is (even half) true the correct location for top is
possibly /usr/bin. If you don't like the path submit a Makefile.am
patch, maybe it will be approved. Notice that the patch should not
break HAVE_NCURSES check e.g. you cannot simply move top to a
bin_PROGRAMS segment where there is kill.

--
   Sami Kerola
   http://www.iki.fi/kerolasa/