[procps] newlib (generation 3.5)

  • From: Jim Warner <james.warner@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Procps-ng Mail list <procps@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Craig Small <csmall@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2016 13:58:27 -0500

Hi Craig,

Attached are seven patches.

Most involve the newlib 'get' functions now returning the address of a result structure.

Here's my rationale for such a change.

1) The current return values are, at best, a compromise. At worse, they're subject to truncation.

2) They are not extensible beyond numeric data. If we ever wanted to return something like a name, separate functions would be required.

3) Biting the bullet now means the return type need never change again.

4) We'll have symmetry in get, select and reap all returning pointers to (quite generic) structures.

5) With only our own code impacted, and minimally at that, now is a good time for such ABI/API breakage.

6) Since the public 'get' functions will share Item_table entries, 399 (wow) static 'get' functions were eliminated.

7) Such a change should simplify future library maintenance.

8) I thought it best to offer these now, before you get deeply into your documentation effort.

If you have any questions, just let me know.

Regards,
Jim