[procps] Re: C-States handling - new switch?

  • From: Jaromir Capik <jcapik@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: procps@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2012 05:53:31 -0500 (EST)

> Hi Jaromir,

Hi Jim.

> I just ran a little test on my 4-core laptop.
>
> Using top with some fprintf statements, taskset for cpu affinity,
> cpufreq-set to force a given frequency and cpufreq-info for
> verification, here's what I found.
>
> The kernel tics recorded for /proc/stat line one AND each individual
> cpu line are virtually identical when running at either 800MHz or
> 2.10GHz.
>
> Does this make your problem go away?

Actually I did my own tests on my workstation with:
Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU W3520  @ 2.67GHz

The test application was producing a fixed amount of load triggered
by the system clock each second and the results were surprisingly
opposite:

1.) with frequency set to 2.66GHz the load was approximately 34%
2.) with frequency set to 1.73GHz the load was approximately 52%

Whilst the load should be 34% in both cases ...

I tested that with procps 3.2.8 and procps-ng 3.3.2 and both of them
returned the same result.

> Jim

Jaromir.