[pradjs] Re: PRA- the bare essentials

  • From: Benjamin Amberg <benjamin.amberg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mikejedlicka@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 16:50:13 -0800

hey guys,

don't cancel the phone!  are you kidding?!
i personally like having it, i don't really wanna give out my cell phone number over the air. when the phone was working i got more calls than i did IMs, i mean half the people that listen to my show don't use IM and i know for a fact that while they are streaming my show they are not actually at the computer, and i don't really get how having your cell phone ring during your show is less obnoxious than having the house phone ring, you can always turn the ringer off... not to mention, getting rid of the phone takes us more off the radio station grid than we already are, it's a status symbol we need... also like mike said, what if there's a problem at the station? there's been times when shit's gone haywire and i haven't had my cell...and lemme tell ya, that feedback and white noise that can come out of the speakers is not fun...at all...

we shouldn't really have to get rid of anything if everyone paid their dues on time, i know i'm guilty of not paying on time just like everyone else is, especially this month cause i've been out of town, but we shouldn't have to sacrifice because we get lazy at times...i dunno what the answer is though, it would seem like cutting some costs might be effective, but it still remains that we aren't paying dues on time...for me i just simply forget...is that the case with other people, or is it an economic thing?

i like noah genda's idea about kicking in five bucks or so as a christmas gift for the station to help us get out of the red and would be more than happy to do that...i don't think that's too much to ask...

maybe too we should be asking our listeners to kick us some bucks, i dunno how many of you guys recommend that over the air, but maybe we should be doing that more. someone told me once that doing something like that is kinda cheap and desperate, but fuck, NPR does that shit all the time, they have fundraisers and all their djs always say something about supporting the station, we're listener and member supported just like they are...i know times is tough for everyone around the country, but the fact of the matter is the station needs money...we shouldn't be above asking for it...

i think too that cutting costs will cause even more people to flake on paying dues, 'oh, the station cut costs and the bills are down to 450 a month, well cool, i don't have to pay right away' but if four or five more people think this then we're still screwed in the end...i mean, the stuff we're talking about canceling will save us what, fifty, seventy-five bucks maybe? as a group of 33 that's not much of a change really, and frankly it doesn't really help us, it hurts us as far as i can see...the more means of communication we let go of, the phone, mailing lists, the smaller and less noticed we become...

we're the PRA damnit, a legit radio station willing to talk and communicate to our listeners, not some lentil bean sucking prepubescent wanker unable to leave his room cause he's addicted to W.O.W. porn and talking to his middle school buds on aol chat, we exist in the real world where real people still communicate via telephone.

that's just me though...i think canceling any of these things is a bad idea, but i also have no idea how to get people to pay on time. mike's emails help, they're great reminders, especially when an ultimatum is given...buuuuut, we also shouldn't have to be constantly tracked down and tackled for dues, we are adults, right?

banjo
On Nov 17, 2009, at 1:30 PM, Mike Jedlicka wrote:

Hi PRA,

I was going to send this to only the managers, but I think you all need to know this information. I'll get right to it. We just got overdrafted again on our bank of america account ($35 a pop), and this has been happening a lot recently, too much (probably 3 times in the past 2 months). We just aren't keeping afloat at this point, so I think we need to talk about what our bare essential bills are at PRA and what could go. Here's what we're paying ...

Rent- $330
phone/internet (clear)- $75
shoutcast-25
constant contact (mailing list)-~25
spotlight (online payments)-$35
server (mediatemple)-14
PO box (medium size) $180 a year

TOTAL
$519 a month

we have 33 slots filled up which means if everyone paid we'd now have ($20 a month)- $660

We should be in the green by $140 a month but we haven't had $$ in our account for extra things (updating gear, maintenance, etc). It's been like this since I took over Treasury a good 9 months ago.

I don't know what to do about getting djs to pay on time (by the 1st of the month)? I try to make the list of who is paying and who isn't, but we still have so many people who don't seem to care or understand how important it is for us. Saffron is about to put her own money in the bank and she needs to be paid back. What can we do guys?? We won't be sustainable like this and we may go under honestly cause I'm not paying out of pocked anymore and Saffron won't either.

What do you all feel about canceling the phone? Do we need constant contact?? Devan, were you planning on getting PRA a smaller PO box soon??

Please let us know what you're thinking ...

Mike

benjamin.amberg@xxxxxxxxx
www.banjosays.blogspot.com