[pradjs] Donations to the Portland Radio Authority

  • From: Noah Fence <itsaniceworldtovisit@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: PRA DJ's <pradjs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2013 05:08:57 -0800

Hello. I know that I have meet most of you at one or more of the PRA dj
meetings, and if not, we have no doubt exchanged a few emails. I am writing
today to discuss donations to the Portland radio Authority. In the past few
years, I have been asking listeners to make a donation to the station, to help
the station in general and my show in particular. The money donated has offset
my monthly dues. I have made these requests for donations on air, in my own
words, as well as using the facebook page I created for my show, and the weekly
e-mail I send out to remind folks about my radio show.This year has been my
most successful year since I started to ask for donations. This year I have
raised $300.00 for the station. The strategy that I use when asking for
donations is as follows: Once year during the month of January I ask that a
person go to the PRA web site, and use the link at the top of the screen,
("Donation"), I ask that people contribute a minimum of $25.00, but any amount
is okay and greatly appreciated. This year I have had a couple of donations
that were more than the $25.00 requested minimum. Then, once they have made the
donation, I ask that the person e-mail me and let me know they have made a
contribution, and include their mailing address in the e-mail. This helps me to
keep track of who has made a donation. I keep an email file of the people that
have made donations. In return for the requested donation, as an incentive
gift, I put together four cd mixes a year, and mail them out to the people that
made donations. A couple years back, as an additional gift, I made some coffee
mugs made with a logo for my radio show on them. This year my plan for the
special gift is to make a t-shirt for my show.It is important to note here,
that the costs for the incentive gifts I promise, the cd-r's and postage, are
coming out of my pocket. The donations made go directly to PRA, and do not
assist me financially in anyway, except to offset my monthly dues. As Program
director, I am not telling you that you have to ask for donations. But, I did
want to share with you what I have done, as it has been somewhat sucessful. If
you choose to ask for donations, you can devise your own strategy & incentive
gift, or not as the case may be. It is completely up to you. I know asking for
donations may seem troublesome, or perhaps desperate. But it does seem to work,
and the money does go help keep the station, pay the bills and hopefully make
small improvements.

Noah Fence (Program director, The Portland radio authority)
"It's a nice world to visit"
9:00 a.m. to noon PST Saturdays
Helping to make Portland the internet destination of choice since 2006

www.praradio.org