[powerdot] Re: Wrong position of \rput

  • From: Thomas Schneider <schneidt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <powerdot@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Dec 2013 18:19:03 -0500

Valéri:

> Thanks. I didn't understand well the behaviour of the \rput command.
> So perhaps \rput is not the command I should use...
> Is there any possibility to put something at absolute coordinates
> (wherever is the current position)? For example if I want that the
> "hello" word is at [0.3\slidewidth, 0.3\slideheight]?

Actually \rput is perfect for this.  Here's what I do for a slide:

% ladylady

% ladylady
\begin{wideslide}{El Duomo, Florence, Italy}
\vspace{8.6cm}\hspace{0cm}% start at lower left point
% \psgrid(0,0)(-20,-20)(20,20)%
\rput[bl]{0}(3.2,-0.2){%
{\rotatebox{0}%
{\scalebox{0.15}{\includegraphics*{slidesfigs/dnahelixlady.eps}}}}
}%
\end{wideslide}

The trick is that initial '\vspace{8.6cm}'.  By using this I define
the lower left corner of every slide as the zero coordinate.  Then I
use \rput to place the images in the positive quadrant.  It works like
a charm.

Unearth the '% \psgrid' comment to see the grid.

(Note on using this: I have each slide as a paragraph with a unique
name - 'ladylady' in this case - so I can move the slide to the start
of the file temporarily.  There it is followed by an '\end{document}'
that I unearth from a comment.  This way I typeset only one slide at a
time but typeset everything by recommenting the '\end{document}'.  In
vim I delete the slide 'paragraph', move it to a test region (which I
find by searching for '% ttt'), typeset and then move it back.)

Also, I set vim to write the file out using ','.  I have atchange
(http://alum.mit.edu/www/toms/atchange.html) set up to detecth the
change when the file is written and to typeset the slides and create a
PDF (using my l script http://alum.mit.edu/www/toms/ftp/l).  With the
Skim PDF viewer watching the pdf and updating - it's a complete
what-you-want-is-what-you-get system: I keep my fingers on the
keyboard editing slides and the results are displayed when I type ','.

Tom

  Thomas D. Schneider, Ph.D.
  Senior Investigator
  National Institutes of Health
  National Cancer Institute
  Center for Cancer Research
  Gene Regulation and Chromosome Biology Laboratory
  Molecular Information Theory Group
  Frederick, Maryland  21702-1201
  schneidt@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  http://schneider.ncifcrf.gov/ (current link)