[pov] Re: Snow Owls II

  • From: Scott Newell <newellsj@xxxxxxx>
  • To: pov@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 4 Mar 2012 15:16:06 -0800

Ethan,

Thanks for the directions. I went out there yesterday and had a great time photographing the owls. At one point as I started moving away from one it started flying towards me and landed well within the 150 feet safe distance. I held still and took a few images before slowly moving away. I've put a few of the images up on my web site on the art page for March:

I used a Nikon D700 with a 500mm F1.4P, an older lens but the first one with a chip for autoexposure (still manual focus). I set the ISO up around 640 -1200 for a little depth of field at F6.3 and fast exposures (something I could never have done with film).

I found a map showing good locations at Damon Point from Elliot Omiya at birdingonthe.net tweeter's list.

Anyway, Thanks again,

Scott Newell

On Feb 21, 2012, at 7:43 PM, Ethan Russo wrote:

Point Damon State Park at Ocean Shores (3+ hours drive). The road is washed out. You walk south along the water about 2 miles, then head inland (East) and seek out the snowy owls where they?re perched.

Cheers,
Ethan

Ethan Russo, MD
20402 81st Avenue SW
Vashon, WA 98070
USA
Voice: (206) 408-7082

Fax (Toll-free USA): (866) 234-7757
Cellular (in USA): (206) 304-4344
Mobile (in Europe): 011 44 (0)7899 986 068
E-Mail: ethanrusso@xxxxxxxxxxx
        erusso@xxxxxxxxxxx

This electronic mail message and any attached files contain information intended for the exclusive use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain items that are privileged, confidential and/or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent, you are hereby notified that any distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, you have my apologies.
Receipt of this message does not imply inherent consent to use or disseminate my contact information for any promotional purpose whatever.

From: ethanrusso@xxxxxxxxxxx
To: pov@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [pov] Snow Owls II
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2012 14:45:16 -0800

Dear POV,

The owl remained fatigued. This one has as much eye exposure as any.

Taken with Canon EOS 20D with 100-400 mm zoom Series 1 at full mag (= 640 mm).