[pov] Re: Lion and CS 5.5

  • From: Michael Elenko <michael.elenko@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pov@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2012 10:33:45 -0800

Rondi,

The big issue is that Lion does not run the Rosetta emulation software in the
background that allows one to use older Mac software that was designed to run
on non-Intel machines. That is known as PowerPC or PPC.

I haven't upgraded to Lion because I have several critical applications,
including color management, that rely on that older code. I'm just not up for
spending a thousand bucks for software that replicates what I now have. I also
am not thrilled with some of the interface changes. Plus Dropbox provides me
with enough free cloud coverage for my Mac, iphone and ipad.

For many folks who started using Macs within the past five years this is a
non-issue as all new software published within the past few years is considered
Universal Binary and will run fine on Lion.

Here is how you can tell what PPC applications you have now. Then you can see
if they matter:

 ‎1. Launch System Profiler (from Spotlight or hold down Option > Apple menu >
System Profiler)

2. Look for the “Software” menu on the left side Contents list

3. Click on “Applications”

4. Click on “Kind” to sort your installed applications by architecture type,
scroll through the list until you see “PowerPC”

Anything in the PowerPC column won't run in Lion.

ME

On Feb 19, 2012, at 10:10 AM, Rondi Lightmark wrote:

> Does anyone on the list have experience with Lion and CS 5.5? My computer has
> Snow Leopard and
> I've been nervous about upgrading. Any other issues to think about? I'm
> mostly considering it because
> I use the apple account and they force you to go to ICloud this spring--which
> is only accessed with Lion.
>
> Thanks,
> Rondi Lightmark
> pov@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> All replies default to the entire POV list.
>
> To reply to the specific sender, make sure the sender's email address is the
> only one in the To: field
> of your email application.

Michael Elenko
Eye In The Triangle Photography