Plugtek BPL eLibrary :: News Alert: Plugtek Powerline eLibrary Nov 11 2004

  • From: "Plugtek Powerline Network eLibrary" <freelists@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: plugtek_com@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 22:27:17 -0700

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
PLUGTEK POWERLINE NETWORK eLIBRARY
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

11.November.2004
http://Plugtek.com
http://Broadband-Powerline.com
http://PowerlineStore.com

News Alert!
Category: HomePlugAV

_______________________

Be sure to contact us with your new products.
http://plugtek.com/mail.shtml

Sign up a Friend for the ePowerline Newsletter:
http://Plugtek.com/FreeNewsletter.shtml

This article gives insight into the latest update
concerning the new HomePlug AV standard:

Conexant talks about expansion in the consumer-electronics market

[Daniel Shen, Taipei; Jessie Shen, DigiTimes.com]

Peter Kempf, vice president of marketing, Wireless and Residential Gateway Access Products at Conexant Systems, spoke with DigiTimes about how the company is competing in the WLAN IC market through product differentiation and focused integration.

Q: What is Conexant’s approach to the WLAN IC market?

A: After our successful merger with GlobespanVirata, we launched an IEEE 802.11a/b/g solution that supports the 802.11e standard for QoS (quality of service) and the 802.11i standard for security. Moreover, we are currently developing high-speed IEEE802.11n solutions in order to extend our foothold in the market.

The market is becoming fairly competitive, and this has prompted Conexant to work on product differentiation and integration, including products that combine set-top box (STB), voice over IP (VoIP) and DSL capabilities.

Q: What is Conexant’s opinion of the new wireless technologies WiMAX and UWB?

A: Currently WiMAX is being pushed aggressively by Intel and may overtake DSL and cable modems as the last-mile connection, becoming the best solution in the market. However, the unit price of an 802.16 broadband-wireless modem could be more than US$100, whereas the unit price of an ADSL modem is currently only US$20. With cost as the issue, it will be difficult for Intel to have the same success as it did with Centrino. Therefore, in my opinion, WiMAX will likely only have a 5-10% share of a specific niche market.

The UWB standard has the advantage in bandwidth, but is limited in its distance. Like Bluetooth, UWB is intended to be a cable-replacement technology. I would like to add that I am very optimistic about HomePlug technologies in the home powerline networking market.

Q: Could you talk about HomePlug AV development, since you were appointed as the president of the HomePlug Powerline Alliance?

A: The final version of the HomePlug AV standard will be ready by the summer of 2005. At that point, Conexant will launch its first single-chip HomePlug AV product.

Q: Conexant is also one of the chip vendors toying with the idea of the digital home. How does the company see the market maturing?

A: In the digital-home infrastructure, consumer-electronics products are the last to migrate from analog to digital, after global network and enterprise systems have all been upgraded. At the moment, SOHO DSL routers form the core connection to the ISP for WLAN routers, as well as access points for notebooks, wireless IP phones and other networked devices. In fact, data/voice telecom gateways and media/entertainment gateways won’t be integrated as converged media gateway products. DSL routers can be seen as the core for data/voice telecom gateways, while they are also being incorporated into wireless terminal equipment, including WLAN devices, notebooks and wireless IP phones. The key role of the STB will be as a hub for media/entertainment gateways, streaming-video equipment, HomePlug entertainment appliances, flat-panel TVs and Hi-Fi stereos.

Q: Conexant has both data and media product lines. Could you tell us more about the company’s new products?

A: We have rolled out VoIP CPE (customer premises equipment) solutions that can be incorporated into adapters, VoIP routers, IP phones, WLAN handsets and IADs (integrated access devices). As well, we have launched media-adapter solutions that can integrate WLAN and streaming audio and video. After acquiring ViewAhead Technology, we plan to introduce single-chip solutions for multi-functional peripherals (MFPs), with one product integrating a variety of functionality, including that of a printer, fax machine, scanner and photo copier, and offered at low cost.

For Taiwan-based network-equipment makers, I suggest they keep an eye on digital-home products, including VoIP-enabled devices, media adapters, MFPs and IP STBs.

Q: How are operations proceeding in the new design center you recently set up in Taiwan?

A: The Taipei center was inaugurated in August. Its first goal is to target wireless, DSL and dial-up modems and provide service support for software downloads and hardware installation. Staff at the center will increase to 100 in 2005, up from 65 at present.

This interview was translated from Chinese.

~~~~~~~~

Smarthome's Insteon(TM) Technology Receives Two International CES Innovations Design and Engineering Awards

Insteon Combines RF and Powerline Communications for First Time
to Create Seamless Home Control Network

IRVINE, Calif.,Smarthome, Inc., the world's
leading provider of automated products to improve the home, today announced
its Insteon(TM) home automation network technology and Insteon SignaLinc RF
2442 have received Consumer Electronic Show (CES) Innovations 2005 Design and
Engineering Awards in the Software/Embedded Technologies category and
Integrated Home Systems category, respectively.
Smarthome's founder and CEO Joe Dada will accept the recognition today
during the New York International CES Press Preview in New York City.
Announced June 7, 2004, Insteon is the first home automation network
technology to combine the home's existing wiring, or powerline, with radio
frequency (RF) communications to deliver a secure, reliable and fast
connection for automatic or remote control of lighting, security,
entertainment systems, appliances, and climate. Products will be available to
consumers early next year through Smarthome's Web site, http://www.smarthome.com.
Since 1989, the prestigious Innovations Design and Engineering Awards
Showcase has given consumer technology manufacturers and developers an
opportunity to have their newest products judged by a preeminent panel of
independent industry designers, engineers and journalists. Other categories
include accessories, audio, computer hardware and wireless communications.
"This prestigious award for Insteon validates all the hard work and
dedication the Smarthome engineering team showed during the past four years
while developing this new home automation technology," said Joe Dada,
president and CEO of Smarthome, Inc. based in Irvine, Calif. "We look forward
to meeting our customer's needs for secure, reliable and affordable home
networks through our new Insteon products."
Insteon SignaLinc RF 2442 is an affordable, simple, fast and dependable
way to create a complete "mesh-network" system. A plug-in device that blends
into any home decor, it is a network interface that enables Insteon powerline
signals to be converted to RF signals and vice versa to create a truly
synchronized home network in which users can control all home systems,
including lighting, appliances, heating and air conditioning, automated drapes
and home theater equipment. To install, users simply need to plug in two
SignaLinc devices, tap the program buttons, and they can communicate with any
Insteon-enabled wired or wireless device in the home.
Smarthome executives are in discussions with original equipment
manufacturers (OEMs) of appliances, audio/video equipment, HVAC,
security/sensors and more about embedding Insteon technology into their
products.
Insteon products will be available through Smarthome's catalog, its Web
site, http://www.smarthome.com, and by phone at 1-800-SMARTHOME beginning first
quarter 2005.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It is nearing holiday season.

Visit: http://PowerlineStore.com

~~~~~~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

_______________________

Be sure to send us any tips, insider information, updates,
and advancements in the Powerline Industry.

To contact Plugtek please go to our mail form page:
http://plugtek.com/mail.shtml

Have a great day.

__________________
http://Plugtek.com
Powerline Communication Network Technology eLibrary

_______
______ / \
/ | / 110-220 \
/ Home |____ | __ __ |