[platypus-dev] License status of a platypus-generated application

  • From: Arthur Norman <acn1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: platypus-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2009 20:32:22 +0000 (GMT Standard Time)

Platypus itself is subject to the GPL. Many thanks for making it available! My question is whether a platypus-generated application is fully generated code and so uses the license of the main application (eg in the way that compiling C code using gcc does not cause the license terms of the gcc compiler to impact on the license of the compiled code it creates) or are there parts of platypus copied into the generated application so that it becomes a "derived work" and hence may only be distributed subject to the GPL.

I am looking into this to see if I can use platypus with a package that is Open Source under the Modified BSD license and would like to remain under that... I am NOT wanting to create non-open source stuff!

For comparison I note that some GPL packages that create other stuff really want that other stuff to have all the terms of GPL applying to it, while others (eg the "bison" parser generator, the "autoconf" stuff etc) have explicit waivers to make it clear that their generated stuff does not constrain the user...

Many thanks.  Arthur Norman