[pisa-src] Re: vim: modelines vs exrc vs autocmd

  • From: Mircea Gherzan <mircea.gherzan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pisa-src@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2010 13:06:01 +0100

Diego Biurrun <diego@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> What about just putting up some editor configuration guidelines in our
> wiki?  Newcomers will be instructed to read these and set up their
> environment accordingly...

:))

We have "guidelines" for coding-style, regulating spaces instead of tabs.
Newcomers will be instructed to follow these. But... we still have the commit
hooks _enforcing_ some rules :)

It's quite the same with the vim settings: there are _guidelines_ (euphemism
for "rules") and ways of _enforcing_ them :)

However, I've come to hate my own own (the modelines) because of aesthetic
reasons. I've taken the exrc-path in HIPL, and it works just fine.

Therefore I turn to Mount Olympus and aks: Tobi, do you agree with shifting
from modelines to an .exrc file in the root of the project?

Thanks,
Mircea

--
Dipl.-Ing. Mircea Gherzan