[pinebeltpram] Re: Social Media Contests

  • From: Catherine Lott <catherine.lott@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "pinebeltpram@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <pinebeltpram@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 May 2015 14:55:49 +0000

I did one to give away tickets to the Speakeasy. I asked people to comment with
their favorite 1920’s slang term. For anyone who commented, their name was put
in a random drawing to receive 2 free tickets. It didn’t reach the biggest
audience we’ve seen, but it got some good mileage and didn’t cost us anything
(tickets were purchased and donated back).

If I do it again, I’ll probably spend some money on promoting the post so it’ll
get more visibility. I figured with getting multiple comments (18) it would get
higher priority on news feeds, but apparently not.

I’m sure you know this, but I know there are issues with asking people to Share
a post because based on privacy settings you might not be able to see everyone
who shares so they may not get counted. But, it’s their own dang fault for
being so private, right? :)

Also, it’s good to keep in mind Facebook’s rules on promotions:
https://fbcdn-dragon-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xap1/t39.2365-6/851577_158705844322839_2031667568_n.pdf.
Pretty much the only ‘rule’ I see is that you can’t tag people in a post
they’re not actually a part of.

Good luck!!

--
Catherine C. Lott, M.S.
Communications Coordinator

From: Hanna Knowles
Date: Wednesday, May 6, 2015 at 9:32 AM
To: "pinebeltpram@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:pinebeltpram@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>"
Subject: [pinebeltpram] Social Media Contests

Hi PRAMers!

Have any of you hosted a social media contest? Any “best practices” or “lessons
learned” to pass along?

Thanks in advance!

Hanna E. Knowles
Marketing Communications
College of Health | School of Kinesiology
The University of Southern Mississippi
118 College Dr. #5142 | Hattiesburg, MS 39406
P: 601-266-6325
www.usm.edu/coh<http://www.usm.edu/coh>
www.usm.edu/kin<http://www.usm.edu/kin>