[PigeonRing-PML] PIGEONS-LIST Digest - 19 Mar 2008 to 20 Mar 2008 (#2008-80)

  • From: Cliff <pigeonring@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pml-pigeonring@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, PML Freelist <pigeonring-pml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2008 00:44:17 -0400

Topics of the day:

  1. GENINFO:   will the new host allow for the posting of pictures ???
  2. White stock and all other colors
  3. Moyer Feed: (6)
  4. Old-elm pigeon feed.
  5. Migration (2)
  6. Muscle  color, repair and tone
  7. Dropping Gas prices
  8. No place in the shows for a working class???? (2)
  9. [Fwd: FOUND BIRD]
 10. Lonette pigeon skin....
 11. Joined to learn
 12. Lonette to Charlie
 13. Lonette to Jim Frees
 14. Protein (2)
 15. <No subject given>

----------------

GENINFO: will the new host allow for the posting of pictures ???
From:
Cliff <pigeonring@xxxxxxxxx>
Date:
Thu, 20 Mar 2008 01:42:19 -0400

Cliff, will the new host allow for the posting of pictures ???
Linda Joneli
linda@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Linda,

I am evaluating a couple of Email Discussion groups services currently on a trial bases to choose the one that will serve best.
I'm leaning towards using Google Groups.  Yes they allow photo uploads.  It also Archives everything nicely.  I was able to upload all the past years ARCHIVES
into the FILES section for easy access by any member as well.
If interested, you can see what I currently have setup at:
http://groups.google.com/group/pml-pigeonring/subscribe?hl=en

Cliff
PML Admin

Re: White stock and all other colors
From:
John Lucchese <PS259@xxxxxxx>
Date:
Thu, 20 Mar 2008 05:00:28 EDT

David,
             Using 22% protein feed, last season, 27 birds, raced every week, had 6 club firsts, 4 combine firsts, two combine seconds, and one combine third, against 2000-2600 pigeons. Now, I never checked the color of their skin, I just shipped the pigeons on the performances they turned in racing, and training. I, like you, always believed that too much protein turns the skin deep purple. It may be possible that the supplements that I give the pigeons kept the skin clear and smooth. If I did look at a pigeon's keel, the skin was pink and smooth, so I have to conclude that supplements were the cause of this, and keeping them in form for nine weeks. Every week I expected them to "break down" and lose their form, but they didn't. As a matter of fact, on the last race, 300 miles, they took 1st, 2nd, and 3rd with the entire board. I am still mystified how pigeons could race 9 weeks in a row, and still keep their form. Be assured, I wrote down everything that I gave them in my notebook, and will keep the same regimen again this year. I just used my race results as a point of reference. Like John Sampson, I do not like to point out the accomplishments of my pigeons, just to give advice from my personal experiences, to those who can use it. Regards,

John Lucchese

Re: Moyer Feed:
From:
john sampson <Sampsonbrothers@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date:
Thu, 20 Mar 2008 07:58:14 -0400

My dealer buys trailer loads and passes some small savings on to us, not
great, but some.  However in the summer they keep too much grain on hand and
it tends to get moths. I'd rather pay more and get grain that is turned over
often in the hot months, I don't know how you guys down south handle the
heat and grain, but moths in the grain are sure death to racing well.

Brad Batty said not to use any feed with moths, he took all grain back from
me that had moths, he said it's a respiratory thing they get
?????????????????? All I know is if your flying horrible when normally you
fly good and have moths in your grain, look no further, It's the larve poop
that does it, so if you use any oils, etc. all the poop will stick the
grain, I found it by seeing it in the breeder grain trays which use no oils,
it looks like brown pepper...

John S.
WWW.Sampsonbrothers.com (check us out)
Sampsonbrothers@xxxxxxxxxxx.

Date:    Wed, 19 Mar 2008 04:34:03 EDT
From:    John Lucchese <PS259@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: White stock and all other colors

-------------------------------1205915643

Linda,
           It's true, too  much protein will cause the skin to become dark
on
a pigeon. Then why do they  sell race feed with 22.5% protein? Protein
builds
muscle. Does it then matter  what color skin your pigeons have, if they are
winning races with dark skin?  Just wondering.

John Lucchese

Subject:
Joined to learn
From:
lonettemckee <flatdaddy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date:
Thu, 20 Mar 2008 19:57:14 -0400

I agree with Jackie,
There's always great stuff to learn about pigeons on here. Just because now
and again folks have some good, clean fun doesn't mean these guys aren't as
pro as you can get. Roll with the flow I say... lightens things up. JUST MY
OPINION - but that would be my opinion wouldn't it?????
Lonette

Date:    Wed, 19 Mar 2008 11:06:36 -0400
From:    Robin Hooker <rrh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Joined to Learn

------=_NextPart_000_003C_01C889B1.4D7921E0

I joined this PML hoping to learn more about Pigeons, so far I have learned
a little but mostly what I have found is bickering and battering in every
other post. I was under the impression that the PML was a bunch of
Professionals discussing pigeon issue so I could learn much.
There is no need to reply to this post, that would just continue the
problem, instead everyone should just start acting like professionals so
that those of us who are not can get some good,useful information and stop
wasting time reading garbage.

Subject:
Lonette to Charlie
From:
lonettemckee <flatdaddy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date:
Thu, 20 Mar 2008 20:04:27 -0400

Charlie you rascal!
You're a sweetie Charlie but boy... you, John L and Bruce are gonna get me
in sooooo much trouble....BUT .... I love to stand on Harry's hands and wing
slap him as often as possible! He likes it and I think it turns him on.
Lonette

Date:    Wed, 19 Mar 2008 09:22:18 -0700
From:    charles cole <lostplanetavrpl@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Lonette and Harry ,the odd couple LOL Harry joining PETA???

--0-1271211820-1205943738=:93128

GOOD LORD HARRY!!!!
  I can't wait to see you at our next PETA meeting. We'll have a special
place of honor all ready for you when you arrive.We'll be serving up lots of
refreshments also. Maybe some nice tar and plenty of feathers to go with
it.How does that sound?LOL
  I'm just messing with you,PETA already has you being watched and would
never let you near one of their gatherings.LMAO!!! Sorry I couldn't resist
saying that.( the devil made me do it ! OK?
  Seriously I have a great deal of respect for your knowledge of racing
pigeons and our ideas on maintaining the health of the birds are truly on
the same page,and I'll bet you are kind and caring with them,and are a big
puppy dog toward you wife as well.LOL
  As for Lonette if she were a racing pigeon she'd be an all distance three
time champion.it takes allot of passion and drive to accomplish all the
things she has,and allot of brains to boot.Now with all of this comes a
certain amount of temperment and feistyness,( just like the birds I talk
about that have character.They will wiggle out of your hand then stand on it
while they turn around and wing slap you, before they fly up to their nest.
  I really enjoy both of your posts and hope to continue to see both of you
on the pigeon list for many years to come.
  In the words of Rodney King," can't we all just get along?
  Charlie

Subject:
Lonette to Jim Frees
From:
lonettemckee <flatdaddy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date:
Thu, 20 Mar 2008 20:15:41 -0400

Hi Jim,

I know what you're saying and Lord only knows we've had many heated
discussions about this and probably will continue. I could only care for any
bird and respect it's right to live and not be hurt... but everybody doesn't
feel this way and I try not to make those who feel otherwise constantly mad
at me by getting on my soap box about it... so relax guys....I won't! If
Harry can go to charm-school - I can go to anger management-school! Thanks
for your kind words Jim.
Lonette

Date:    Wed, 19 Mar 2008 23:31:24 EDT
From:    Jim Frees <Kika796475@xxxxxxx>
Subject: the movie is geat

-------------------------------1205983884

Lonette, as always you seem to come through with something for everyone.
When a little boy I often though a pigeon would make a great pet. I was from
small town and not many pigeons around except the real wild ones in barns
and
you could not get close to them. I have always felt sad I was exposed to the

use of them for dog training and shooting and I would take home the hurt
ones
to  try and save with no luck. My own church here in traverse city had their

pigeons  poisoned out of the bell tower. Every time I do a dove release
there,
I still  think about the helpless birds flopping around. Your link to the
Jenner movie is  great and hope lots more people see it, and try some of
those
projects. The Park  Place Hotel in Traverse City here has had pigeon 10
floors up
on the roof for 80  years. They don't kill them, and they don't feed them.
They did, by decree of  the new management team order a complete covering of
all
air conditions fan etc  on the roof top so the baby pigeons would not get
killed by being caught in  them. I have pigeon friends that kill pigeons and
get
paid for it. I have pigeon  friends???? that pull the head of a bird if it
doesn't win at a show. I know a  flyer that shoots his pigeon on a race if
it
doesn't go right in the loft so it  wins. There has been talk on here about
sports illustrated mag that shed a bad  light on pigeon racing and now the
nice
one on the discovery channel that  promotes races in a better light.     PML
is
a pretty  balanced posting area of thoughts and learning, Thanks for being
here and  posting. Jim Frees

Subject:
Protein
From:
Richard Boucher <Pipukwes@xxxxxxx>
Date:
Thu, 20 Mar 2008 20:47:55 EDT

 When I am breeding I give the breeders excess amounts of protein to sustain them and build healthy babies. Once the YB's are weaned I cut them back on the protein and add exercise just good maintenance to build them up. As the racing and heavy training begins I increase the carbs to build up stamina and staying power. The protein at 10 to 14 % is sufficient for them. Slow release carbs will get them home on those long races where protein is eaten up fast and then they will just plain crash.
 Kind of like a body builder . He will eat tons of muscle building protein and have huge muscles but, get him to dig a ditch for 8 hours  a day and he will crash before the skinny guy eating slow released carbs. Muscle needs energy and protein does not provide that energy it only builds but doesn't maintain steady muscle usage like carbohydrates .
 Agree or disagree  (my opinion based on personal experience...)
Richard
 .

Subject:
<No subject given>
From:
David Rodriguez <trinipigeon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date:
Thu, 20 Mar 2008 21:56:51 -0400

" Be assured, I wrote down everything that I gave them in my notebook, and will keep the same regimen again this year"

John L, how can I get a peek at that notebook?

David R.

Re: Moyer Feed:
From:
Tommy Axson <taxson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date:
Thu, 20 Mar 2008 21:55:37 -0400

Jackie, way too much to put in "chest type" freezer, I do keep the high
priced seeds in there, hemp, p-nuts etc. The "no pest" strips work, I was
just checking to make sure I was not harming the birds. I NEVER let it touch
the seeds but let it lay on the newspapers that rest on top of the feed.

Thanks, Jerry I'll pass on the gasoline, after 33 years with the Fire Dept.
I "respect" that hazardous material FULLY! I have seen some very tragic
results with the mishandling of gasoline (so I hope everyone will be careful
if they use this procedure). I will keep it in mind if my "no pest" strips
fail me.

If anyone was interested in the calcium chips I ask about? They are NOT
needed if you supply them with oyster shells they have basically the same
calcium content. The dollars I paid for the bag was worth it, NOW I know !
<hta>

Tommy, do you get many bags of feed at once?  I have long since put all my
flour, pasta, rice etc, in the freezer when I bring it home from the grocery
store, for the same reason as the eggs that are in the seed.  Just a couple
days and the seeds should be taken care of.  Do you have room to put your
seed in for a couple days?

Checked by AVG.
9:54 AM

Subject:
Protein
From:
David Rodriguez <trinipigeon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date:
Thu, 20 Mar 2008 22:56:02 -0400

Richard, I cannot speak to your personal experience, but what you are stating flies in the face of science. There are two types of muscle fiber, red fiber and white fiber. In humans the are found in various percentages, as much as 90% of one and 10% of the other, to the exact opposite. Top Athletes in both running and cycling have muscle biopsies to determine what distance race they should participate in. Racing pigeons all have 90% red and 10% white, more or less. Their white muscle fiber burns glycogen, their red, fat. When you feed carbohydrate, their liver has to convert it to fat. They can convert muscle and burn that also, which is what happens when a bird is flown down. It would be better to feed  more fat and make it easier on the liver, but too much fat can cause a problem also. Dr. Chalmers has published articles on this subject, and can explain it much better than I.

David.