[PigeonRing-PML] Digest - 15 Mar 2008 to 16 Mar 2008 (#2008-76)

  • From: Cliff <pigeonring@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pigeonring-pml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, pml-pigeonring@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 10:55:11 -0400

Subject:
PIGEONS-LIST Digest - 15 Mar 2008 to 16 Mar 2008 (#2008-76)
From:
PIGEONS-LIST automatic digest system <LISTSERV@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date:
Mon, 17 Mar 2008 00:00:41 -0400
To:
PIGEONS-LIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Topics of the day:

  1. PIGEONS-LIST Digest - 14 Mar 2008 to 15 Mar 2008 (#2008-75) (2)
  2. White stock and all other colors (2)
  3. <No subject given>
  4. PIGEONS-LIST Digest - 11 Mar 2008 to 12 Mar 2008 (#2008-72)
  5. pigeon tv show
  6. National Geographic (3)
  7. Watery Droppings and Babies in the nest

or to review the PML RULES or ARCHIVES, go to:

http://www.pigeonring.com
----------------
To send an email message to appear on the PML,
send it exactly to: PIGEONS-LIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
----------------

Re: PIGEONS-LIST Digest - 14 Mar 2008 to 15 Mar 2008 (#2008-75)
From:
Bill Barbary <wgbarbary@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date:
Sun, 16 Mar 2008 00:05:46 -0400

On Sun 03/16/08 12:01 AM , PIGEONS-LIST automatic digest system sent:
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2008 06:30:40 -0700
From: HARRY HILL <
hjhill@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: White stock does not fly as well as the other colors that pigeons come in.

Jerry;

I've always said that. I've also said they have races restricted to
white birds only because the owners know that is the only way they have a
chance to win a money race. The problem is most breeders of whites are
breeding for white and not racing ability. A white bird will make money as a
release bird whether it would ever finish a race or not, the criteria in
that line is the bird has to be white, it doesn't have to be good.

Harry

Again I have to say its not always that way. I have had several flyer send there All White birds to my all Color race, and percentage wise they are still here after the 4 payout races and the rest of the 5 club races from 100 to 300 miles. A Few of the Whites have won anywhere from 1st to 5th place against some of what I feel were Very good color birds. A lot has to do with the feeding and training of a bird gets as much as the background. I always figured anyone who sent birds wouldn't figure they were sending junk, but there very best.

Have another Great Day

Bill

Re: PIGEONS-LIST Digest - 14 Mar 2008 to 15 Mar 2008 (#2008-75)
From:
HARRY HILL <hjhill@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date:
Sat, 15 Mar 2008 21:43:24 -0700

Bill, I think that is what I said, a white bird can be good. The majority won't but occasionally a white bird will be up to the task.

Harry

Subject:
White stock and all other colors
From:
gerald perrone <doverelease@xxxxxxxxx>
Date:
Sun, 16 Mar 2008 05:56:01 -0700

Harry:
You are on the money about the new wave of white stock
breeders,(folks that breed white stock for racing and
folks that breed white stock as a working class
pigeon), and races that are for "whites pigeons only".
I can remember being on this very site many, many
years ago, (ten maybe fifteen years ago); and talking
about a day when breeding white stock would be common
in America.
The "white birds only races", are a natural next step.
What better way to measure abilities of a carefully
selected gene pool then with competition "only" for
that gene pool.

The only point that I do not understand is your
definition "of a good bird"?

If a bird; (any bird) performs within the restraints
of its gene pool and does it reliably for many years
then, to me that "is a good bird".

I am thrilled that the Release industry has been
influential in creating a desire in so many new
handlers to keep, maintain, selectively breed and even
earn some money from their white stock.

Remember, it is all in the fancy; and what is good for
the fancy is good for every flyer.

Keep them flying:
Jerry
Highland Loft
Harbor Springs, MI.

PS: This is not a promotion for the sale of pigeons of
any color.

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

Re: White stock and all other colors
From:
HARRY HILL <hjhill@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date:
Sun, 16 Mar 2008 07:13:53 -0700

Jerry, the difference I see is when you have a race specifically based on color it gives the racers a chance to settle for lower performance. I don't think they should be raced strictly as white racing homers, to me they are racing homers regardless of color. If you have a race strictly for whites it becomes less valid in my mind.  Especially when on the same day a race from the same station is released and the speeds are higher for the color birds than the white birds. Suddenly the white birds are no longer equivalent to the colored birds. On the other hands if white birds are being bred strictly for the release industry it is important they all get home. I would breed for strong homing instinct and not worry about speed. What I have witnessed is the white release people set up a breeding loft and a flying loft, then they get spread too thin because of losses or extra jobs and instead of saying no to some jobs they start sending out breeders who haven't been flying and maybe not settled, the next year because of losing their breeders they are breeding off survivors and losing more birds than ever.

There will always be racers who are trying to develop white racers that are racers first and happen to be white though the white is always part of the project, as good as their birds are they don't send them to million dollar races with $1000 perch fees, their white birds go to band races and smaller entry fee races.

Harry

Subject:
<No subject given>
From:
lonettemckee <flatdaddy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date:
Sun, 16 Mar 2008 10:54:52 -0400

SIGN OFF Pigeon List

Re: PIGEONS-LIST Digest - 11 Mar 2008 to 12 Mar 2008 (#2008-72)
From:
HARRY HILL <hjhill@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date:
Sun, 16 Mar 2008 07:55:58 -0700

Bill;

       I think you're just looking for a fight and think you'll get a lot of backing by picking one with me. It won't work, I'm going to charm school now so you have to find someone else. I will tell you though that denying a problem exists doesn't cure the problem. Too many fly by night outfits doing white releases combined with no regulations or standards makes the industry suspect. Jerry tried to set a standard using his birds as an example on all the white release people on this list attacked him for telling them what they should be doing. How many white release people actually claim what they do as income and claim all the money they make doing it, treat it like a real business? I'm guessing there are more who hide every dollar they make and wouldn't pass muster in a surprise visit to their facilities. There are also too many who will sacrifice birds for a dollar releasing birds who have no chance of getting home. I know how many calls I get looking for white birds for a one shot deal and I don't have any white birds. That is the industry I see.

Harry

Subject:
pigeon tv show
From:
Bob Ryan <Toyboxloft@xxxxxxx>
Date:
Sun, 16 Mar 2008 11:08:27 EDT

hello  all , i thought that was a great show !!  done very well !!     bobby

Subject:
National Geographic
From:
Richard Boucher <Pipukwes@xxxxxxx>
Date:
Sun, 16 Mar 2008 11:08:49 EDT

 All,
 Watched the NG show on pigeons Beast Genius. It was great how they showed them in a different light and as they said "they are not rats with wings". Was well done and explained the different breeds and even the need of the common pigeon.
 Of course they still can't explain their homing abilities each has their own theory. from smell to magnetic compass. It did show how smart these birds are. If any of you missed it I suggest you try watching next time it airs. I think it may be on tonight at 9:00 pm.

 Richard

Re: National Geographic
From:
Bruce & Michelle McCallister <bmmccallister@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date:
Sun, 16 Mar 2008 13:17:43 -0400

Was tired last night but stayed up to watch it. Put pigeons in a very good light. Nice show.
Bruce...
 Watched the NG show on pigeons Beast Genius. It was great how they showed them in a different light and as they said "they are not rats with wings". Was well done and explained the different breeds and even the need of the common pigeon.
 Of course they still can't explain their homing abilities each has their own theory. from smell to magnetic compass. It did show how smart these birds are. If any of you missed it I suggest you try watching next time it airs. I think it may be on tonight at 9:00 pm.

 Richard

Re: National Geographic
From:
Richard Boucher <Pipukwes@xxxxxxx>
Date:
Sun, 16 Mar 2008 16:27:04 EDT

In a message dated 3/16/2008 12:18:01 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, bmmccallister@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
I think it may be on tonight at 9:00 pm.
  I was wrong it is on again Monday at 1:00pm

Re: Watery Droppings and Babies in the nest
From:
HARRY HILL <hjhill@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date:
Sun, 16 Mar 2008 15:56:24 -0700

Gary, I think it was Ken who said he hadn't given his birds salt for too long so when he gave it to them they gorged on it and had problems. In nature animals find the salts they need all the time but occasionally something will happen where the natural salt points dry up or disappear and they go into salt or mineral deficit. Under those circumstances sometimes animals overdose and die. I'm not flaming you,I agree with you that all animals need salt. We just have to be careful we don't deprive them of it then suddenly give them so much they end up sick or dead. My birds get their salt from the horses salt licks.

Harry