[phxastronomypublicevents] Upcoming Summer 2013 FREE Public Events with Phoenix Astronomical Society

  • From: Terri <cosmicstarstuff@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "phxastronomypublicevents@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <phxastronomypublicevents@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2013 14:04:41 -0700 (PDT)

Happy Monday to all!
Members of this list.

To remove yourself from this list,
please go to //www.freelists.org/list/phxastronomypublicevents
Then put in your email address, and choose
Unsubscribe. It will be faster and easier on me
if you do it rather than me doing it. However,
if you wish to reply back to me and have me do it for you, send your reply to
Events@xxxxxxxxx and I
will do it for you.

This is the list of FREE Upcoming Public Astronomy Events in the Phoenix AZ
area. 1 or 2 times a Month I send out a notice with updates of the events that
are coming up, that you may wish to attend.

This is also where you will get a notice, should I need to send out one, of a
canceled event. So, staying on the list is best for you, if you are interested
in attending FREE public astronomy events.

I do not wish to remove anyone from the list, But
per your request, I will do so. Or to make it easier
on me, feel free to go to the above link and remove yourself. Thank you for
staying on the list as long as you have, so far.

I wish you a super day!

Before you depart, here is the list of the rest of the Public events we have
scheduled through Summer 2013.

Terri, Event Coordinator for PAS

Upcoming
Public PAS Events 2013
More
events: http://www.pasaz.org/forums/calendar.php

 Here
is a list of the upcoming PAS Events for 2013. These PAS Events are FREE& open
to the public. Please be sure to RSVP where requested.
Bring the whole family to these events! RSVP for these events by
email Events@xxxxxxxxx.
If event is at Mike's home in Carefree, RSVP is with Mike at Primefactory@xxxxx.
If event has potluck, please sign up in PerfectPotluck.com site. See
calendar listing for password. Links go to our calendar listing for
these events & provide additional info about each event. It is
advised that you read the additional info so you know what to expect
at these events.

Looking
for a scope for sale? Ads for scopes are found at the end of this
email. You might find the dream scope you have been looking for in
your price range. Good Luck! Another location to watch for scopes for
sale is the PAS Forums at this link:
http://www.pasaz.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5 And once in a while, I send
out a scope for sale to this list. Not
interested? Just delete it.

have successfully moved all the emails, about 550 of them, from my
yahoo account to a new List Serv. If you are receiving this list, you
are on that list serv. Feel free to come and go as you please. We
hope you stay on this list, as it is your link to FREE Public
Astronomy Events in Phoenix.

TheMay 2013PAStimes Newsletter is ready for download. Please help yourself to a
copy. http://www.pasaz.org/index.php?pageid=newsletter

During
the summer months, PAS doesn't always put out a Newsletter. But if we
do this summer, it will be posted to the site on July 1. Watch for
it. I will send out a reminder about the summer issue, and then again
for the September issue, when they are live on the site. Have a super
summer!

2013
Summer Events

The
following list, is accurate as of May 24. Check the Calendar for
changes.

June
2013 PAS Events

Jun
2:
Bookmans Telescope Workshop 3:30 to 5:30pm in Musical Instrument
Section of the store. Free workshop. RSVP is required to attend with
Terri Events@pasaz.organd leave your first name and make and model of scope you
need
assistance with. More details in the Calendar listing for this event.
http://www.pasaz.org/forums/calendar.php?do=getinfo&e=838&day=2013-6-2&c=1

June
22:
1stof Mike's Lecture Series for the Summer. Potluck is at 5:30. Lecture
begins at 7pm. This is a public event, invite everyone you know.
Location is Mike's home in Carefree.  This event is a Potluck,
Lecture & then Movies as it is Full Moon and not good observing.
Lecture title: “Killer Asteroids”
http://www.pasaz.org/forums/calendar.php?do=getinfo&e=1098&day=2013-6-22&c=1

Jun
23:
Bookmans Telescope Workshop 3:30 to 5:30pm in Musical Instrument
Section of the store. Free workshop. RSVP is required to attend with
Terri Events@pasaz.organd leave your first name and make and model of scope you
need
assistance with. More details in the Calendar listing for this event.
http://www.pasaz.org/forums/calendar.php?do=getinfo&e=839&day=2013-6-23&c=1

July
2013 PAS Events

July
13:
2ndof Mike's Lecture Series for the Summer. Potluck is at 5:30. Lecture
begins at 7pm. This is a public event, invite everyone you know.
Location is Mike's home in Carefree.  This event is a Potluck,
Lecture & then a Star Party! Lecture title: “Upcoming
Astronomical Disasters”
http://www.pasaz.org/forums/calendar.php?do=getinfo&e=1099&day=2013-7-13&c=1

July
14:
Bookmans Telescope Workshop 3:30 to 5:30pm in Musical Instrument
Section of the store. Free workshop. RSVP is required to attend with
Terri Events@pasaz.organd leave your first name and make and model of scope you
need
assistance with. More details in the Calendar listing for this event.
http://www.pasaz.org/forums/calendar.php?do=getinfo&e=840&day=2013-7-14&c=1

July
27:
3rdof 4 of Mike's Lecture Series for the Summer. Potluck is at 5:30.
Lecture begins at 7pm. This is a public event, invite everyone you
know. Location is Mike's home in Carefree.  This event is a Potluck,
Lecture & then Movies as it is Full Moon and not good observing.
Lecture title: “Quantum Springs”
http://www.pasaz.org/forums/calendar.php?do=getinfo&e=1100&day=2013-7-27&c=1

August
2013 PAS Events

Aug
10:
Perseids Meteor Shower Public event. This could be a star party as
well. The moon is 4 days past new. Potluck is at 6pm. RSVP is with
Terri for this event Events@xxxxxxxxx.
Location is Mike's home in Carefree. Bring a chair, binocs, light
jacket, snacks and drinks for yourself during the viewing, and for
the potluck bring a main dish and drinks to share. Moon sets at 9pm.
Best viewing will be after 9pm. Dark is 8:15pm.
http://www.pasaz.org/forums/calendar.php?do=getinfo&e=866&day=2013-8-10&c=1

Aug
11:
Bookmans Telescope Workshop 3:30 to 5:30pm in Musical Instrument
Section of the store. Free workshop. RSVP is required to attend with
Terri Events@pasaz.organd leave your first name and make and model of scope you
need
assistance with. More details in the Calendar listing for this event.
http://www.pasaz.org/forums/calendar.php?do=getinfo&e=841&day=2013-8-11&c=1

Aug
24:
4thof 4 of Mike's Lecture Series for the Summer. Potluck is at 5:30.
Lecture begins at 7pm. This is a public event, invite everyone you
know. Location is Mike's home in Carefree.  This event is a Potluck,
Lecture & then Movies as it is Full Moon and not good observing.
Lecture title: “Galactic Jets & Cosmic Evolution”
http://www.pasaz.org/forums/calendar.php?do=getinfo&e=1101&day=2013-8-24&c=1

SEPTEMBER
PAS MEETING
Sept
5:7pm at PVCC Main Campus Rm LS-201. Bring a snack to share. This is
Members night, so sign up with Terri to do a mini presentation of
under an hour in length to allow other members to present, as well.
Everyone Welcome! If there are not enough presentations to fill the
evening, a DVD of something astronomy related will be shared. More
details will come your way by email as the date gets closer.
http://www.pasaz.org/forums/calendar.php?do=getinfo&day=2013-9-5&c=1

We
have an awesome line up for the rest of the PAS meetings of 2013. You
won't want to miss a meeting! Come hear about:

“Beyond
M42 (what to look at after you've found all the easy stuff)”
“Whats
Up? The night sky and basic celestial mechanics.”
“Chemistry
of the Cosmos”

These
presentations are the line up for Fall 2013. We hope to see you at
all PAS events,
and
especially at our PAS Meetings. Bring a friend!

Are
you curious about upcoming PRIVATE events? Consider joining PAS.
There are a bunch of really awesome private events for just PAS
Members, that may interest you.

Join
the Phoenix Astronomical Society and be part of something Spacial!

Here's
a description of some of the Private events you might want to attend:

NSTS
– Night Sky Training Sessions. It was decided that several PAS
members are interested in learning how to find objects in the night
sky. So, PAS is starting these events on nights that we are at Mike's
home in Carefree, with the intent of helping fellow PAS members learn
how to find objects in the night sky. Watch for these events to be
listed in the PAS Website Calendar as NSTSin the title of the event. You must
be a current PAS Member to be
involved in these events, and we need Teachers as well as Students to
make these events a success. So, even if you know a lot of objects in
the night sky, don't feel you need to stay home when we can use your
expertise to learn more about the night sky. Please read about these
events in the forums at this link:
http://www.pasaz.org/forums/showthread.php?t=732- Member's only link.

CEO's
– Cuttin' Edge Observatory Star Parties. Chris is opening up his
remote Observatory in Mayer to allow PAS Members to do star parties
at that location. He and I will be setting up dates for these events.
Watch for them on the PAS Website Calendar marked as CEO
(Private).
PAS Members only. Some additional info about CEO's can be read in
this forum thread:
http://www.pasaz.org/forums/showthread.php?t=558&highlight=cuttin+edge– Members
only link.

VSP
– Virtual Star Parties. At the Meeting of the minds on Mar 28,
Chris mentioned and showed us new software that would make editing
astrophotos easier and more fun. He and I are working to set up the
next VSP's. Watch for them on the PAS Website Calendar listed as VSP
(Private).
The first event will be at Chris's home in Goodyear. This type of
event has 2 parts to it. 1) learn to use the software to control
Chris's scope, to set up your photo session. 2) After you have
acquired the number of photos you wish to use to make your final
image, Chris will do classes on processing those photos, through this
new software, to help you achieve your best end result. Both session
are separate events, and will be listed as such. So the VSP event is
the acquiring of the images. VSP
TS (Private)will be the Training Session part of this type of event. And VSP
IP (Private)will be the Image Processing portion of the event. These sessions
will be a party so bring a snack to share, and a drink to share. They
could be some very long nights. These events can be held anyplace
that has a fast internet connection. PAS Members only. This link in
the PAS Forums has additional info about these events. You may wish
to read about it. http://www.pasaz.org/forums/showthread.php?t=322– Members
Only Link.

EOSP
– Estrella Observatory Star Parties. Yves and I have set up a star
party at Estrella Observatory for every month, except June, of this
year - 2013. They are listed on the PAS Website Calendar as EOSP
(Private).
There is always a potluck before this event. PAS Members only.

Antenna's– What is Antenna's? Several PAS members ask me what this listing
on the PAS Website Calendar is for. Antenna's is a location that is
about 100 Miles from Phoenix in which serious observers with
telescopes will go to get away from the Phoenix light pollution. It
is a public location, as in no one owns it but it has been used by
many clubs in Arizona as a great dark sky observing location. If you
wish to attend, we ask that you talk to Eric or Sam about the event
before going to it. Why? Because Star Party Etiquette is a must.
Members of other clubs use this location to do astrophotography. They
are there to spend the night in mostly total darkness. So, if you
plan to attend this type of event, we want you to be aware of what
people are doing down there at that location, plus use proper star
party etiquette, and prepare your vehicle not to have any white light
come on at all when you open the doors. It is advised that you arrive
before sundown and not plan to leave until dawn. There are no
facilities down there, so it is a bring your own everything event.
And it is not a PAS only event. The location is open to anyone. So,
check with Sam or Eric before heading down there, and be courteous to
other dark seeking observers. These events are listed on our calendar
as Antenna's as not to draw too much attention to these events. But
those who do this event on a regular basis, know what to look for on
the calendar.

How
to stay in touch with PAS:

The
PAS online Calendar is a great source for all upcoming events, public
& private. Above is listed the Public events. To attend Private
events, you must be a PAS Member. You can join PAS from this link:
http://www.pasaz.org/forums/downloads.php?do=cat&id=2

You
can keep in touch with PAS through Facebook at this link:
https://www.facebook.com/PhoenixAstronomicalSociety

You
can sign up to get news from the PAS Blog at this link:
http://pasaz-digest.blogspot.com/

PAS
will be changing over from the system I am doing right now, of once a
month sending out email updates of PAS Public Activities, to doing it
through the PAS List Serve.
What
is a List Serve? You can come and go as you please. Meaning, you sign
up to receive emails either in individual emails or a digest at the
end of the day. And anytime you want to, you can leave that list. But
in the mean time, you would get all the updates about the upcoming
Public Events.

Plus,
if you wanted to discuss anything about astronomy, we have several
members on the list to help you out. Questions are welcome. The list
serve emails go to everyone on the list. You can reply or just
monitor what is being shared. Here's how you get on this list.....
 phoenixastro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
        sign up: phoenixastro-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: subscribe
(requests will be automatically verified and added)

started a second list of those folk who were being emailed directly
from my yahoo account. Yahoo has put a stop to large amounts of email
and 550 people on several smaller lists, allowing only about 30 on a
list, was taking too long to get those emails out to everyone. So, I
created a list and put everyone on it, and here are the details if
you find a friend, interested in PAS events, and wanting to receive
emails about those events, just have them sign up for the list. We
appreciate it.

Everyone
having received this email today has been added to the new list.
This list is for the announcements of FREE upcoming astronomy events,
the discussion of those events, and the cancellation notices for
those events that Weather gets in the way. You can come and go as you
please from the list by using the below info. If you remove yourself
from the list, you will no longer receive notices of these events.

        *  To post on this mailing list, simply send email to
phxastronomypublicevents@xxxxxxxxxxxxx.
        *  - Users can subscribe to your list by sending email to
phxastronomypublicevents-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'subscribe' in the Subject
field
        *  To Unsubscribe from the list, put 'unsubscribe' in the subject field
and send to the same address as above for subscribing. Or go to this link to
unsubscribe: //www.freelists.org/list/phxastronomypublicevents
Here's
a List format in a PDF of upcoming events, all of them, public &
private to the end of the year & sometimes beyond.
http://www.pasaz.org/forums/downloads.php?do=file&id=49

Terri, Vice President & Event Coordinator for PAS

ASTRONOMY
EQUIPMENT FOR SALE:
(Please
note, these items are not being sold by PAS. They are by individuals
who have nothing to do with PAS, who donated a small amount to get
their ad posted in several places of the PAS website, newsletter and
this information Upcoming Events list. Purchase at your own risk.)

 Celestron
8” Telescope for sale. Asking $799 with lots of accessories &
hard case. Call Michael at: 623-399-9989 or Email inquiries to
snmzap@xxxxxxxxx. See flier at this link:
http://www.pasaz.org/forums/downloads.php?do=file&id=203 Cash &
Local Pickup ONLY.

 For
Sale: I
live in Rio Rancho, New Mexico, which is just north of Albuquerque.
Contact Rodger (505) 349-3686 or email rodger.mayeda@xxxxxxxxx.
Here’s the items for sale: 8”
Meade SCT & Astro-Physics 400 Mount - $3,500: 1
– 8” Meade SCT w/15” AP sliding bracket, dew shield & 2”
Astro-Physics eyepiece adaptor, 1 – 400 Astro-Physics Equatorial
head with Dual Axis Quartz Drive (not goto) with optional Precision
Encoders and Hand Controller, 1 – 15” Astro-Physics Dovetail
Plate, 1 – Astro-Physics carrying case for 400 AP Mount, 1 –
Davis and Sanford Tripod for 400 AP Mount with Tamrac soft carrying
case, 1 – 9 lb. Astro-Physics Stainless Steel Counterweight with
Hand Knob for AP 400 Mount, 1 – 6 lb. Astro-Physics Stainless Steel
Counterweight with Hand Knob for AP 400 Mount, 1 – SKY COMMANDER
digital setting circles with cables for AP 400 mount. For
more details & photo, see ad at this link:
http://www.pasaz.org/forums/showthread.php?p=2014#post2014
Also for sale: Nikon
(35mm film) Camera System $500 Nikon
Photomic FTN (Black Body) fitted with Beattie Intenscreen PLUS (for
astrophotography – have original split focus screen too). Lenses
include 24mm f2.8, 50mm f1.4, 135mm f2.8, 300mm f4.5, 500mm f5!
reflex (all Nikon lenses – all are in cases including camera).
Nikon waist level finder with magnifier. ***

Visit the P.A.S. Blog & My Facebook Page
Visit my Music Page: Private Music Instructor