[phxastronomypublicevents] Upcoming FREE public Astronomy Events during Sept 2013

  • From: Terri <cosmicstarstuff@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Terri Finch <events@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2013 16:11:52 -0700 (PDT)

Upcoming
Public PAS Events 2013
More
events: http://www.pasaz.org/forums/calendar.php

Here
is a list of the upcoming PAS Events for 2013. These PAS Events are FREE& open
to the public. Please be sure to RSVP where requested.
Bring the whole family to these events! RSVP for these events by
email Events@xxxxxxxxx.
If event is at Mike's home in Carefree, RSVP is with Mike at Primefactory@xxxxx.
If event has potluck, please sign up in PerfectPotluck.com site. See
calendar listing for password. Links go to our calendar listing for
these events & provide additional info about each event. It is
advised that you read the additional info so you know what to expect
at these events.

Looking
for a scope for sale? Ads for scopes are found at the end of this
email. You might find the dream scope you have been looking for in
your price range. Good Luck! Another location to watch for scopes for
sale is the PAS Forums at this link:
http://www.pasaz.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5 And once in a while, I send
out a scope for sale to this list. Not
interested? Just delete it.

TheSeptember 2013PAStimes Newsletter is ready for download. Please help
yourself to a
copy. http://www.pasaz.org/index.php?pageid=newsletter

September
2013 PAS Events

Sep
5: PAS
Meeting. Everyone welcome. Member's Night – come share or learn
about Astronomy. Sign up with Terri if you wish to do a mini
presenation about astronomy to the group. Doors open at 7pm in Room
LS-201 at the PVCC Main Campus. Meeting begins at 7:30pm.
Bring
a friend and bring a snack to share! Water provided by President
Bruce. More details at this link:
http://www.pasaz.org/forums/calendar.php?do=getinfo&e=931&day=2013-9-5&c=1

Sep
12:FREE Telescope Workshop at PVCC Main Campus by the Telescope Dome &
G-147, 7pm to 10pm. RSVP is required with Terri. No public RSVp's
could cancel this event. When you RSVP, please include the Make and
Model of your telescope and the number in your party. RSVP at Events@xxxxxxxxx.
More details at this link:
http://www.pasaz.org/forums/calendar.php?do=getinfo&e=944&day=2013-9-12&c=1

Sep
22: Bookmans
Telescope Workshop 3:30 to 5:30pm in Musical Instrument Section of
the store. Free workshop. RSVP is required to attend with Terri
Events@pasaz.organd leave your first name and make and model of scope you need
assistance with. More details in the Calendar listing for this event.
http://www.pasaz.org/forums/calendar.php?do=getinfo&e=842&day=2013-9-22&c=1

Sep
26:
PAS Indoor / Outdoor Astronomy Event with FREE Telescope Workshop.
Bring the whole family. We meet at PVCC Main Campus from 7:30pm to
10pm in and by room G-147 and the Telescope Dome. RSVP is required
with Terri at Events@pasaz.orgto attend. If you are attending for the Telescope
Workshop, send an
RSVP email to Terri with Name, number in party and the make and model
of your scope you need assistance with. Outdoors will be a Star
Party. Indoors will be hands on activities, demos, etc. Everyone
welcome!
http://www.pasaz.org/forums/calendar.php?do=getinfo&e=830&day=2013-9-26&c=1

Oct
3:
PAS Meeting. Everyone welcome. Guest Speaker: Rick Tejera “Beyond
M42 (What to look at after you've found all the easy stuff)” Doors
open at 7pm in Room LS-201 at the PVCC Main Campus. Meeting begins at
7:30pm. Bring a friend and bring a snack to share! Water provided by
President Bruce. More details at this link:
http://www.pasaz.org/forums/calendar.php?do=getinfo&day=2013-10-3&c=1

------------

We
have an awesome line up for the rest of the PAS meetings of 2013. You
won't want to miss a meeting! Come hear about:

“Beyond
M42 (what to look at after you've found all the easy stuff)”
“Whats
Up? The night sky and basic celestial mechanics.”
“Chemistry
of the Cosmos”

These
presentations are the line up for Fall 2013. We hope to see you at
all PAS events, and especially at our PAS Meetings. Bring a friend!

Are
you curious about upcoming PRIVATE events? Consider joining PAS.
There are a bunch of really awesome private events for just PAS
Members, that may interest you.

Join
the Phoenix Astronomical Society and be part of something Spacial!

Here's
a description of some of the Private events you might want to attend
(as PAS Members):

NSTS
– Night Sky Training Sessions. It was decided that several PAS
members are interested in learning how to find objects in the night
sky. So, PAS is starting these events on nights that we are at Mike's
home in Carefree, with the intent of helping fellow PAS members learn
how to find objects in the night sky. Watch for these events to be
listed in the PAS Website Calendar as NSTSin the title of the event. You must
be a current PAS Member to be
involved in these events, and we need Teachers as well as Students to
make these events a success. So, even if you know a lot of objects in
the night sky, don't feel you need to stay home when we can use your
expertise to learn more about the night sky. Please read about these
events in the forums at this link:
http://www.pasaz.org/forums/showthread.php?t=732- Member's only link.

CEO's
– Cuttin' Edge Observatory Star Parties. Chris is opening up his
remote Observatory in Mayer to allow PAS Members to do star parties
at that location. He and I will be setting up dates for these events.
Watch for them on the PAS Website Calendar marked as CEO
(Private).
PAS Members only. Some additional info about CEO's can be read in
this forum thread:
http://www.pasaz.org/forums/showthread.php?t=558&highlight=cuttin+edge– Members
only link.

VSP
– Virtual Star Parties. At the Meeting of the minds on Mar 28,
Chris mentioned and showed us new software that would make editing
astrophotos easier and more fun. He and I are working to set up the
next VSP's. Watch for them on the PAS Website Calendar listed as VSP
(Private).
The first event will be at Chris's home in Goodyear. This type of
event has 2 parts to it. 1) learn to use the software to control
Chris's scope, to set up your photo session. 2) After you have
acquired the number of photos you wish to use to make your final
image, Chris will do classes on processing those photos, through this
new software, to help you achieve your best end result. Both session
are separate events, and will be listed as such. So the VSP event is
the acquiring of the images. VSP
TS (Private)will be the Training Session part of this type of event. And VSP
IP (Private)will be the Image Processing portion of the event. These sessions
will be a party so bring a snack to share, and a drink to share. They
could be some very long nights. These events can be held anyplace
that has a fast internet connection. PAS Members only. This link in
the PAS Forums has additional info about these events. You may wish
to read about it. http://www.pasaz.org/forums/showthread.php?t=322– Members
Only Link.

EOSP
– Estrella Observatory Star Parties. Yves and I have set up a star
party at Estrella Observatory for every month, except June, of this
year - 2013. They are listed on the PAS Website Calendar as EOSP
(Private).
There is always a potluck before this event. PAS Members only.

Antenna's– What is Antenna's? Several PAS members ask me what this listing
on the PAS Website Calendar is for. Antenna's is a location that is
about 100 Miles from Phoenix in which serious observers with
telescopes will go to get away from the Phoenix light pollution. It
is a public location, as in no one owns it but it has been used by
many clubs in Arizona as a great dark sky observing location. If you
wish to attend, we ask that you talk to Eric or Sam about the event
before going to it. Why? Because Star Party Etiquette is a must.
Members of other clubs use this location to do astrophotography. They
are there to spend the night in total darkness. So, if you plan to
attend this type of event, we want you to be aware of what people are
doing down there at that location, plus use proper star party
etiquette, and prepare your vehicle not to have any white light come
on at all when you open the doors. It is advised that you arrive
before sundown and not plan to leave until dawn. There are no
facilities down there, so it is a bring your own everything event.
And it is not a PAS only event. The location is open to anyone. So,
check with Sam or Eric before heading down there, and be courteous to
other dark seeking observers. These events are listed on our calendar
as Antenna's as not to draw too much attention to these events. But
those who do this event on a regular basis, know what to look for on
the calendar.

How
to stay in touch with PAS:

The
PAS online Calendar is a great source for all upcoming events, public
& private. Above is listed the Public events. To attend Private
events, you must be a PAS Member. You can join PAS from this link:
http://www.pasaz.org/forums/downloads.php?do=cat&id=2

You can keep in touch
with PAS through Facebook at this link:
https://www.facebook.com/PhoenixAstronomicalSociety

You can sign up to get
news from the PAS Blog at this link: http://pasaz-digest.blogspot.com/

Plus, if you wanted to
discuss anything about astronomy, we have several members on the list
to help you out. Questions are welcome. The list serve emails go to
everyone on the list. You can reply or just monitor what is being
shared. Here's how you get on this list.....
phoenixastro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
        sign up: phoenixastro-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: subscribe
(requests will be automatically verified and added)

        * - Users can subscribe to the public notice list by sending email to
phxastronomypublicevents-request@freelists.orgwith 'subscribe' in the Subject
field
        * To Unsubscribe from the list, put 'unsubscribe' in the subject field
and send to the same address as above for subscribing. Or go to this link to
unsubscribe: //www.freelists.org/list/phxastronomypublicevents
Here's a List format
in a PDF of upcoming events, all of them, public & private to the
end of the year & sometimes beyond.
http://www.pasaz.org/forums/downloads.php?do=file&id=49

Terri, Vice President & Event Coordinator for PAS

ASTRONOMY EQUIPMENT
FOR SALE:
(Please note, these
items are not being sold by PAS. They are by individuals who have
nothing to do with PAS, who donated a small amount to get their ad
posted in several places of the PAS website, newsletter and this
information Upcoming Events list. Purchase at your own risk.)

For
Sale: Meade "STARFINDER" Dobsonian Scope 10” with
rotating stand and Instruction Manual  with 7 eyepieces. 3 eyepieces
are Meade double coated,9MM,12MM, and 25MM. 4 eyepieces are Super
Plossl 9.7MM, 20MM, and 26MM.  Included are 2 extra Rack and Pinnion
Focusers, and a TELRAD Reflex Sight. Asking 225.00 OBO. Contact Roger
at Schollra@xxxxxxx or 480 991 0133. Go to this link for the photos
of this telescope & accessories:
http://www.pasaz.org/forums/downloads.php?do=file&id=213***

Visit the P.A.S. Blog & My Facebook Page
Visit my Music Page: Private Music Instructor