[phxastronomypublicevents] Upcoming Events at Desert Botanical Gardens

  • From: Terri <starstuff@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Terri Finch <events@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 May 2014 13:25:24 -0700

Good morning Guests of PAS,

DBG asked me to forward this info out to everyone! Sometimes PAS is at
these events doing Solar Viewing. At the moment, we are not, but we like to
help DBG get the word out about these events.

Please have  a super day!
Terri, Event Coordinator for PAS

These are DBG events, not PAS Events. They are also NOT free events. But
you might be interested in having your child attend these events. Please
have an astronomical Day!

------

*Hello Teachers!*

We would LOVE your help in spreading the word about the nature and science
summer camps at the Desert Botanical Garden. If you have a list serve or
even just a couple of friends/neighbors who might be interested, please
forward the message below. Thank you so much for your help! I really
appreciate it! Summer is a great time to keep having fun and learning!

Does your child like science, nature, plants, animals, or all of the above?

Then the Desert Botanical Garden’s Summer Camp could be for you! Your child
will become a scientist by learning about seeds, pollination, conservation,
and all-around science in our camps for kids ages 4 – 12. We have something
for everyone – making sure kids spend some time outside each day (without
getting too warm!).

Check out the camp descriptions below for more information:

*Early Childhood Drop-off Camps (ages 4 – 6)
<http://www.dbg.org/education-programs/kids-camps-programs/camp#summer>*

*Sensational Seeds*

Explore the fantastic diversity of desert seeds with us during this four
day drop-off camp this summer! Every morning campers will fly, float,
sprout, and spring with songs, art, and hands-on discovery. This year the
kids will be joined by performance artist, Cynthia Elek, who will lead the
kids in fun-filled musical adventure through the world of plants, fruit,
and seeds. * 2 classes, limited to 12 campers per class.*

Members: $130 / General Public: $160

May 27 – 30 / 8:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.

*Desert Friends*

Jump like a kangaroo rat, soar like a Red-tailed Hawk, and hunt like a
kingsnake in this drop-off camp! The campers will explore how desert plants
and animals work together to in this harsh climate.  This summer the kids
will be joined by performance artist, Cynthia Elek, who will lead the kids
in fun-filled musical adventure through the world of Sonoran Desert
animals. * 2 classes, limited to 12 campers per class.*

Members: $145 / General Public: $175

June 9 – 13 / 8:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.

*Elementary School Drop-off Camps (ages 7 – 12)
<http://www.dbg.org/education-programs/kids-camps-programs/camp#summer>*

*Pollination Pals*

Join us to discover the fascinating world of Arizona pollinators and the
important role they play for nature and humans. Did you know that the
Sonoran Desert is one of the most diverse places on earth for all kinds of
pollinators? Learn about bats, butterflies, hummingbirds, and bees in this
hands-on camp. To help us learn about this amazing relationship between
plants and animals will be several pollination experts who might be joined
by some animal friends! *2 classes, limited to 14 campers per class.*

Members: $250 / General Public: $310

June 16 – 20 / 8:30 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.

*Planet Rescue!*

Break into the dynamic world of the conservation scientist in this week
devoted to how everyone can help the planet! We will learn how scientists
all over the world are working to conserve plants, animals, habitats,
water, and energy. This hands-on camp features special guests like Liberty
Wildlife and their rehabilitated Red-tailed Hawks and Elf Owls. Campers
will leave with conservation skills to help spread the word about how easy
it is for everyone to help the environment. We will finish this week with
an exciting trip to Gilbert Riparian Preserve to learn why water and
habitat conservation are so important for everyone!   *2 classes, limited
to 14 campers per class.*

Members: $250 / General Public: $310

July 7 - 11 / 8:30 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.

*How to be a Scientist*

Inspect, observe, question, hypothesize, and wonder in this in-depth
introduction to what it means to be a scientist. The campers will conduct
experiments throughout the week, getting to use microscopes, insect
samplers, and other exciting science tools. The students will round off
this amazing week with a trip to the Rio Salado Habitat Restoration Area to
collect real-world data that will be used by scientists from around the
world!   *2 classes, limited to 14 campers per class.*

Members: $250 / General Public: $310

July 14 - 18 / 8:30 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to call or email
me. I look forward to seeing you this summer!

Emily Morris

*Science Education Coordinator - Informal*

Desert Botanical Garden, Phoenix AZ

P 480 481.8123   F 480 481.8189

Visit the P.A.S.
Facebook<https://www.facebook.com/PhoenixAstronomicalSociety>Page &