[phpa] my phpa thoughts...

  • From: xing <xing@xxxxxxx>
  • To: phpa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 18:17:12 -0800

I have tested Zend Accelerator which is just Zend Cache and Zend
Optimizer combo for 4 weeks and now phpa 4 for the past week after my 30
day trial of Zend Accelerator ran out.

Though I do not have a true benchmark but from the experience of
monitoring the load avgs of both packages on a constant basis over the
above time span on a system with 24/7 40-120 concurrent apache/php
non-keepalive processes on a 99% php site, I do feel that
ZendAccelerator 2.0 is more efficient in terms of reducing server load
than than phpa. However, this is a not a fair comparison since Zend
Optimizer is quite effictive by itself and phpa is more caching than an
optimizer.

Overall, I really like nick's work on phpa since the software's is
extremely valuable to any web developer who is a speed freak or just
some one who does not have the funding to purchase the very expensive
licenses for ZendAccelerator in an effort to reduce costs in the
short/long run. PHP Accelerator is a definite keeper. =)

Nick, have you thought about putting something like a paypal donation
box to the phpa website? I would definitely contribute to the cause and
I'm sure others would as well. Give us a way to buy you dinner once in a
while or pay for your vacation to NY or something.! =)

For a further performance boost with any version of phpa I would
recommend sitting up a ram disk for the phpa cache (I have a 256MB ram
disk setup for my /tmp directory which is were all my php code + html +
phpa cache  + etc  files are stored. With the price of ram now-a-days
this is a sure way (roughly $30) of trimming further microseconds off
those php/html requests. Don't have any performance number to illustrate
but I'm sure this would help.

I tend to ramble on so I will stop at this final question for nick:

 From reading the docs, phpa's "tweak" option optimizes the compiled code
by reducing the number of run-tme memory allocation and other i/o stuff.
How does phpa compares with ZendAccelerator (cache + optimizer)? Do you
believe there is more potential headway in the caching part of phpa or
the "optimization" part? Is it feasible with the source code out there
to have phpa work with Zend Optimizer or is ZO too proprietary to make a
glue module out of? Just my curiosity asking.....

Xing