[phpa] mod_gzip [was Re: Re: key for subdomains]

  • From: "Nick Lindridge" <nick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <phpa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 16:59:39 -0000 ()

>> PHPA works on PHP input rather than output, so you can use
>> ob_gzhandler
> just
>> as you would without PHPA. You might want to consider using mod_gzip
>> as a more general solution for output compression though.
>
> What advantages are there with using mod_gzip instead of the very
> comfortable built in ob_gzhandler? I understand that mod_gzip will
> compress all output and not just php generated documents, but are there
> other advantages?

mod_gzip is fairly configurable and 'smart' (although you seemingly can't
disable it based on HTTP_USER_AGENT, and the extremely unhelpful and frankly
rude people at RemoteCommunications didn't even deign to respond with an
answer when I asked whether this was possible. I've taken off my
acknowledgement of their offering from my site as a result).

Personally I'd use mod_gzip because I don't have to then go to *any* effort
to have the output of my php scripts compressed, and whilst it's hardly much
effort, no effort it still better than not much :)

It's also a real boon when downloading or viewing large text attachments in
SquirrelMail, such as apache error logs, that weren't compressed when mailed
to me.

Just my 2p worth :)

nick