[phpa] What code benefits from caching?

  • From: Joe Lapp <joe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: phpa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2001 15:24:37 -0400

Hello Nick and fellow PHPA users.

I am very relieved to see a PHP cache that is both affordable (free!) and
trustworthy.  From what I learned browsing around the net, PHP Accelerator
seems to be the only cache I can take seriously.

I'm currently running PHP 4.0.3 (on Red Hat) and am about to upgrade to 4.0.6
(primarily so I can use PHPA).  Before I begin this effort, I'd like to know
what PHP code will benefit from caching.  Also, is there any sort of PHP code
that will break PHPA?

Here are some of the ways I'm using PHP code:

(1) A file containing nothing but PHP, retrieved via web browser.
(2) A file containing nothing but PHP, retrieved via inclusion.
(3) A file containing nothing but PHP, retrieved via nested inclusion.
(4) PHP preceding HTML in a file.
(5) PHP embedded strictly between HTML tags in a file.
(6) PHP embedded within an attribute value.

I'm aware of another way to use PHP, but I've not taken advantage of it:

(7) Spanning PHP statements across multiple PHP processing instructions (PIs)
to conditionally include the HTML found between the PIs.

Does anyone have any recommendations for how to maximally benefit from PHPA
caching?  How should I organize my code?  Have all of the above scenarios been
tested?

Thank you so much for your help!

~Joe