[phpa] Re: Release 1.1 available and 1.1p1 release

  • From: John Madden <weez@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <phpa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 15:20:30 -0500 (EST)

> It would be nice in my mind to have a modest commitment from a FreeBSD
> person to testing and packaging of those releases. Running make and ftp'ing
> a tar file to a server isn't really so time consuming.  The main effort is
> just getting the current release to compile, and I would expect that
> subsequent releases would be a breeze. Even if the source was open, I feel
> that someone should still do this before the code for a given version was
> released to everyone. I would want to know that it *will* compile.

Well, you can still release the source without any gaurantee that it'll
compile on *any* platform, even though you know it'll do so on Linux.
(Enter beauty of the GPL - no warranty.)  Once a *BSD developer has the
source, it'd be what - a day or two (?) before the port is ready.  Open
source leads to faster development, and I think it'd benefit the project.
The community will gladly work towards improving the project, if it's a
viable one.  My 2 cents. :)

John