[phpa] Re: Page not found problem

  • From: "Nick Lindridge" <nick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: phpa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 14:51:43 -0000 (GMT)

Hi,

Perhaps you could reproduce the traffic with ab.

Can you send an entire compressed error log from a restart until you get
the page not found errors.  I think IE returns page not found when it gets
an empty response. PHP 4.0.6 is known to have memory problems with arrays,
and so you could be getting server crashes from PHP itself. Perhaps these
show up more often once phpa is installed. 4.0.7RC3 or 4.1.1 fixes those
bugs.

I'd also suggest turning on shm_logging so we get a bit more info.

You could also reduce the max requests value for apache processes. It may
currently be unlimited or large, e.g. 10000, but reducing it to say 1000 or
even less would mean that no apache process would handle more than that
number of requests before stopping. The parent apache would then spawn
another process if necessary.

My production server with red hat was configured for max requests as 100,
which seemed a bit low, but setting to a lowish figure might be prudent.

You'll take a minor performance hit each time a new process is spawned, but
this really should be negligible.

I've been meaning to produce a production build that does checking for
memory corruption (it does this in a debug build currently). If you have
continued problems then it would be worth getting that off me and using it,
but that wouldn't actually solve anything so I'd try the above ideas too.

nick