[phpa] Re: PHPA and PostNuke

  • From: "James Simmons" <james@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <choke@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 11:42:13 -0600 (MDT)

Post some system specs.  That would be helpful.  I run PHP-Nuke 5.5 on a
server with 40 000 members and as many unique visitors each day.  I use
PHPA along with mod_giz and have noticed a sizeable speed increase.  My
users on dialup have also commented about the noted improvement in
performance.  My system runs Mandrake-Linux 8.1.  933 Mhz PIII and 512 MB
Ram.

Bandwidth could be a bottleneck.  mod_gzip can help in this regard.  The
biggest resource hog on my system is MySQL thanks to unoptimized sql
queries that do silly things like SELECT * FROM WHATEVER and have to parse
through a few hundred thousand records.  I' working on that :)

You might also do a 'top' on the server to get an idea of your server load
and what is eating up your system resouces.

James.s