[phpa] Re: NULL Received from PHP-4.2.1 & Apache-2.0.36

  • From: "Nick Lindridge" <nick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oscar@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 07:16:40 -0000 ()

Hi,

The setting of register globals will not affect the $_PHPA global.

Register globals causes the elements such as those in GET and POST form
requests, and server variables to be registered as globals, *in
addition* to being available via their respective global arrays. So,
for example, $_SERVER['SCRIPT_FILENAME'] would also be accessible as
the global variable $SCRIPT_FILENAME. Setting register globals to off
prevents that behaviour.

It's a convenience feature, but can also be a problem because of the
arbitrary variables that can be assigned, and in particular, a risk
because a malicious user could submit a form with arbitrarily named
elements that may cause code to malfunction.

However, $_PHPA is registered as a global variable by PHPA, and is
still available as the global $_PHPA or $GLOBALS['_PHPA']

Thanks for the post though!

nick

http://php.imasd.elmundo.es/manual/en/configuration.php#ini.register-globals