[phpa] Re: Interested in porting the Accelerator?

  • From: Nick Lindridge <nick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: phpa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2001 16:31:40 +0100

On Sat, Sep 22, 2001 at 03:12:06PM +0100, Jamie Burns wrote:

> Cool. If Paul could get a FreeBSD port together then I may have a look (no
> promises) at what would be involved in writing some optimisation
> functionality (a bit like Zend Optimizer). I would also like to look at how
> it could be used to create "pre compiled" files, and making this as easy as
> possible for the users.

Precompiled files are easy - you already have them :-)  All you might
want to add is something to munge the files first.
Without adding any new features except perhaps disabling the file time
testing you can do this as things are already. When you install the
compiled files, you just need to create an empty source file, check
the dev/ino numbers and rename the compiled file accordingly and
you'll be set. Of course it would be nice to not need any source
files, even empty ones, but you might be able to live with that
as a first cut.

Another optimiser would be an interesting project, and worth it
for some apps. There are one or two easy optimisations that could
be done, but this isn't entirely trivial.

I'm thinking of a different tack for speeding execution in
what I'm calling TurboPHP, and that might give you execution
speed for some scripts like you never imagined was possible,
and indeed never will be with PHP as it stands now. It would
require a few minor changes to the engine, but provided that
the php source was available when building the Turbo engine,
some scripts could apply the necessary changes to the
standard executor and the Turbo engine could be built.

I'm not sure whether I will start this project though as
there other things that I want to be doing, but it appeals
greatly.

Nick