[phpa] Concerning PHP/PHPA caching of HTML pages

  • From: "Nick Lindridge" <nick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: phpa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 19:01:18 -0000 (GMT)

Hi,

A couple of people have reported that phpa is caching regular html pages,
and wondered if this is a bug.

It isn't, at least not in phpa. It seems that for some reason apache is
using php as the content handler for regular html pages when it shouldn't.
You wouldn't normally notice this as php starts in html mode, the pages get
turned into one massive echo statement, and then get executed. But they get
cached by phpa and this is a waste of shm and slower than apache serving a
regular file even with phpa installed.

This may be related to the X-Bit-Hack feature in apache as reported by a
user below:

> The easiest solution would be to disable the X-Bit-Hack in Apache's
> config. But this would mean that I have to change all SSI-pages from
> .htm/.html (with x-bit on) to .shtml to have the pages still
> SSI-parsed. But this solution works!
> Sorry, I have currently no other solution.

Another choice for preserving shm, although still having php handling the
files, as it will have been doing already before installing phpa, is to
disable caching of files with a given pattern. If you set the following it
should ignore files *that contain* the pattern .html or .shtml for example.

phpa.ignore_files = ".html,.shtml"

in the php.ini

Nick