[phpa] Complete Server Crash & Hang

  • From: "Edward Wildgoose" <Edward.Wildgoose@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <phpa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <gallery-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2002 09:21:28 +0100

This is a bit of a long shot.  I have been using "Gallery", a picture =
gallery app on my linux webserver, and have been finding that uploading =
medium sized batches of photos (40 or so) is causing the whole server to =
die.

Now bit of a long shot here, because this is clearly a nasty interaction =
between kernel and something else, but just wondered if anyone had seen =
anything similar.

Symptoms are that the machine seems to still be alive, all network =
connections stay alive, but no new ones can be made.  Even more =
bizarelly if you have a shell open, you can type, but pushing return =
hangs the shell, no more response.  I have VNC open and I can still move =
windows around, but can't fire up any new ones, and as I push return in =
each shell it dies.  Even switching to a console session shows the same =
behaviour, ie press return, console dies.

Version numbers.  Linux Redhat 7.2 with all latest patches.  PHP 4.1.2.  =
php Accelerator 1.2.  Machine is an old AMD 400Mhz K6/2 and kernel =
revision is 2.4.9

The particular section of code which is killing the server is probably =
either something in the web process, or use of the netpbm libraries...

No error messages whatsoever in any of my log files...  Very wierd!

I'm not really expecting anyone to jump in here, but this is kind of =
spans a couple of applications and is obviously tickling an underlying =
bug in something else, so difficult to know where to ask.  Any ideas?

Thanks

Ed