[phpa] Re: About registration and Re: Re: PHPA 1.2 Released

  • From: Monte Ohrt <monte@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: phpa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 11:45:26 -0600

Time to play devils advocate ;-)

This key-per-virtual-hostname scheme may have just thrown an
(unneccesary) wrench into the gears, so to speak. This sounds like it
could be quite a hassle for mass volume virtual hosts or cluster-based
hosting, and for what exactly? Imagine if you had to register each host
to use PHP itself... it would be quite unpopular. What about things like
privacy issues. Why can't I use it on an undisclosed website, or maybe
its on a private network that I don't want to disclose information
about?

Just bringing up some possible issues here, in case you are planning on
making this a permenant "feature" of phpa. I was really looking forward
to a  nice drop-in solution to php acceleration, and this just killed
that idea.

If you _have_ to have a license to use the product, I'd vote for an IP
based or host-id based license, in that order.

Monte

Monte Ohrt <monte@xxxxxxxx>
http://www.ispi.net/