[photodesk] Re: jpeg image breaking up when Adjust-scrolling

  • From: Richard Ashbery <riscos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: photodesk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2008 15:38:14 +0100

In article <4ff229b16clists-nospam@xxxxxxxxx>, Paul Vigay
<lists-nospam@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 22 Oct, Richard Ashbery <riscos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Has anyone tried Geminus, the recently released graphic
> > accelerator with Photodesk? Although acceleration seems
> > significant when Adjust-scrolling a large jpeg, huge areas are
> > not getting redrawn.

> Yes. Go into the Geminus configuration and disable 'window caching'
> (right-most icon of the three available) for Photodesk. It will
> then work correctly.

Well done! Success. I guess I should have tried that first.

Interestingly Geminus seems to have little effect on images
loaded into 'Photodesk'. Is there anyway of measuring the speed
difference with and without Geminus running.

- perhaps the different jpeg renderer has something to do with it.
Scrolling 6MB jpegs (Image scale at 100%) is very smooth.

PrivateEye can rotate jpegs rapidly and without loss but when these are
loaded into Photodesk they appear banded. Therefore the user has to
perform the rotation in Photodesk but much more slowly and with loss.

There is a new version of Photodesk - does it support the jpeg rotation
format used in PrivateEye?

Best regards

Richard