[photodesk] Re: fuzzing an edge

  • From: Richard Ashbery <riscos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: photodesk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2011 15:44:06 +0000 (GMT)

In article <b67b623852.jim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Jim Nagel (lists)
<jimfree@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Not sure if this is something for Photodesk or for Artworks

Photodesk only. It would be difficult to do in ArtWorks.

> What I'd like to do is make the edges of the map go fuzzy.  Perhaps
> that means abruptly fade from colour to white within the width of a
> quarter-inch border around the map.  The shape isn't a complete
> rectangle: the top left has to disappear.

The problem I see are the numerous little symbols in the blue area
which will affects the way the mask works.

To get you started....................

Lets assume you have an absence of symbols in the sea (map is
surrounded by all blue) then:

1. With masking effect (100% depth) and magic-wand tool set to 100%
Opacity and Local set to 10% click blue area to set mask.
2. Click Grow a few times.
3. Click Smooth a few times.
4. Invert the mask (click Invert).
5. Select Colouring effect tool and use the pipette to set the "sea"
colour (eg. light blue)
6. Click Whole image button on the Magic wand tool window and click
anywhere in the image to colour the map edges with a soft edge effect.
7. Press CTRL-Shift-E to erase the mask.

Please note... your outline will probably disappear.

All the best

Richard