[photodesk] Re: Photodesk 3.10 & subsequent updates

  • From: Bernard <bernard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: photodesk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2011 16:04:08 GMT

In message <51b25b2d24Paul@xxxxxxxx>
          Paul Sprangers <Paul@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Dear Mr. Evans,

> For a long time, I'm having a really nasty problem with !PhotoDesk when it
> comes to simply load the application: sometimes it loads properly, but most
> of the times it will freeze the machine completely. Sometimes, the machine
> freezes straight away, sometimes there's an error box first, saying that
> the scrap directory still contains some sprites from a previous use. I can
> then choose between discarding them (by clicking Cancel) or retrieve them
> (by clicking OK). No matter what option I choose, the machine will freeze
> completely (with even the pointer frozen).

> Strangely, there's never any file in the scrap directory, but it doesn't
> make any difference whether I delete the appropriate directory, or the
> entire PhotoDesk directory from !Scrap.

> I've had some mail exchange about this problem with David Ruck, but he
> couldn't help me either. The bug didn't sound familiar and he couldn't
> replicate it.

> My current set up is !PhotoDesk 3.09 on an Iyonix 5.16.
> I would love to upgrade, but not until this problem is solved.
> Do you perhaps have any idea?

> Kind regards,
> Paul Sprangers

That sounds exactly like the problem I have.
I discovered that if you do the following it stops the freezing.

Load !Photodesk.!Run
Edit the line in it that says:
IF "<TWAIN$Path>"<>"" THEN RMLoad <Photodesk$Dir>.Modules.TwainPDIF
and add a '|' at the beginning, so that it looks like:
|IF "<TWAIN$Path>"<>"" THEN RMLoad <Photodesk$Dir>.Modules.TwainPDIF
This stops the TwainPDIF module from loading.
Scanning obviously won't then work but at least it stops the freezing.
Please let us know if that cures it for you.

Bernard
--
Contact Me - http://www.bapfish.org.uk/contactme/
Web - http://www.bapfish.org.uk/