[photodesk] Re: New version of Photodesk 3.10

  • From: Peter Russell <peter@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: photodesk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2011 14:11:53 +1030

Richard Ashbery  wrote on 30 Jan :

> In article <6ff6749d51.Peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Peter Russell
> <peter@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> I have been using !PrivateEye to do my rotations, but I don't know
>> idf this is lossless?

> As far as I am aware PrivateEye rotates jpegs with minimum data loss.
> There must be some degradation because every time a jpeg is
> decompressed, processed and then recompressed some of the data will be
> lost. Can anyone else clarify?

> Have you tried Variations Peter - it is very useful if you need to
> rotate many jpegs from a digital camera where the image is taken in
> portrait mode - the program detects the Exif data containing the
> camera orientation and indicates which way to rotate the image by a
> little blue arrow. Bear in mind that when the images are loaded they
> all appear correctly orientated. Adjust-clicking on subsequent images
> (blue highlight) and then clicking the correct Rotate icon will rotate
> all of them.

> What a pity we don't have any software (as on the PC) that can perform
> rotation automatically. OHP is the only package that does
> auto-rotation of images but you are unable to save them - however the
> software wasn't designed to do this.

Thanks Richard. I have tried this and it is wonderful. I have
previously been using !Thump to get my thumbnails when browsing my
photo folders. Of course this doesn't offer all the goodies Variations
does. And I can still drag photos into Photodesk.

Many thanks for the tip off.

Peter

--
Peter M Russell Adelaide, South Australia  - www.pipalya.com/russell
Using RISCOS on Iyonix - immune to all M$ viruses