[photodesk] New Photodesk 3.10 and the old TWAIN problem

  • From: Chris Shepheard <chris.shepheard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: photodesk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2011 20:16:04 GMT

I've just received my copy of PD 3.10 and thought I'd see if it had
cured the long standing problem with scanning images directly into the
program using the inbuilt TWAIN interface.

I talked to Chris Evans when I ordered the new version and he told me
this area hadn't been looked at yet as the developers cannot reproduce
the problem. But I thought I'd give it a go just in case.

Well nothing has changed on this system and, although the scan goes
OK, the program crashes when the image is transferred to the PD
clipboard. Strangely though if you clear all the error messages the
scan is really there and on re-starting PD it offers to keep the
recovered image which will then usually open OK.

Chris tells me that this problem affects a few people and I thought
I'd try to see where the problem lies. In clearing the error boxes one
reports a memory location which appears (from *WHERE) to be in the
BASIC V module.

On checking I find that I am running version 1.20 (15 Sep 1999).
Looking at the module database, the version that's built into the RO
4.02 ROM should be 1.19 and I just wonder if this might be something
to do with the problem. Checking !Boot I find that the ROM version is
replaced by one of the RO4 patches.

Now the questions... If anybody else reading this is experiencing
similar problems please can they report what RO version they're
running and what version of BASIC, please.

I may be clutching at straws but it would be really good to nail this
bug. I use PD on a weekly basis and currently I'm having to scan
images with David Pilling's excellent !DPlngScan and transfer them to
PD before working on them. It is a time wasting chore that I could
well do without.

In hope of an early solution,
Chris

--