[photodesk] Loading recent file formats

  • From: Chris Terran <chris.terranova@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: photodesk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 05 Jan 2008 18:21:57 GMT

Photodesk's file import facilities are a little long in the tooth now,
and you'll sometimes come across files it won't read. This is to
remind (or inform) you about imagemagick, which provides facilities
for file conversion (among many other things). Just put the "convert"
program into your library.

I've used it successfully to convert CMYK JPEGs (otherwise difficult
to read on RISC OS) to RGB:

  convert file.jpg -colorspace rgb outfile.jpg

[note spelling, and use of the period]

and to read Photoshop files (file.psd) generated by far more recent
versions of Photoshop (eg CS2) than Photodesk can handle:

  convert file.psd -colorspace rgb outfile.png

This will extract all layers into separate PNG files with a numerical
suffix (which unfortunately messes up the auto-file-typing, but it's
easy to set the types appropriately).

imagemagick can handle many other formats, including JPEG2000 -- I
haven't tested this though.

imagemagick used to be available from the UNIX Porting Project, but it
appears to be in abeyance while the UPP is switched to using the
autobuilder. If anyone would like a copy contact me off-list (note
it's 24MB).

Best, Chris

--
*** Chris & Lee's Photodesk tutorials, tips and resources
*** http://www.photodesk.iconbar.com *** New tiles!