[photodesk] Re: Drop Shadows

  • From: "David J. Ruck" <druck@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: photodesk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 16:39:51 +0100

"David Watson" <glasgowdave@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'm just wondering what is the best method for adding a drop shadow to an
> imported Artworks image (for example). I remember having no end of
> difficulties in doing the ArcEm icon for MacOS X and the final version is
> somewhat flawed.
> The biggest problem was in retaining the alpha mask for the shadow so
> that it properly faded to any coloured background.

I don't know if this is the best way, but last tine I did it; to get the
shadow I took the Artworks image and converted all the colours to black,
then dropped on to Photodesk rendering to the mask (so that the shadow is
solid rather than an opacity reflecting the colours). Then with just the
mask channel selected for writing I applied a high level of blur to soften
the edges. The RGB channels are reselected, the mask inverted and a black
colour is applied with the magic wand at the appropriate strength to give
the right level of shadow. To finish, the mask is turned off and the
original Artworks image is dropped in, rendering at the same scale but
slightly offset.

Here's part of a backdrop image I did that way.
http://www.druck.plus.com/RISCOS/Dolphin2.jpg

Cheers
---Dave

--