[phoenixchorale] Steering Com. minutes

  • From: Elissa Armstrong <elissa@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "phoenixchorale@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <phoenixchorale@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2014 14:19:16 -0500

Phoenix Chorale Steering Committee   Minutes 11.20.14

Margaret Merrill, Leigh Mundhenk, Rory Sellers, Elissa Armstrong, attending

Agenda:

Membership
                Building membership continues to be an issue. Suggestions for
doing so include:

                Notice in all free publication bulletin boards, including
Portland Press Herald, Forecaster papers, Cape Courier, Phoenix, Portland Daily
Sun, the new paper coming out of the Black Cat Cafe in Deering Center, anything
you can think of. We need a volunteer to do this. Rory will place a notice on
Craig’s List.

                Contact the Portland Press Herald Religion and Values editor,
and or Arts editor to do a story on us. Elissa will do this.

                Sing in the lobby of the Holiday Inn, January 19, for the
Martin Luther King Breakfast, as attendees are entering. Have signage and a
hand out promoting the Chorale and encouraging folks to join us. Elissa will
contact NAACP, Brenda Humphries?

                Linda Atherton will develop our web site.

                Maine Civil Liberties Union has an awards dinner at the
Harraseeket in the Spring, which would also be a good venue for recruiting. Did
someone volunteer to pursue this?

2.  Location/temp venue till our numbers grow

                There is concern that without 10 more dues paying members we
are unable to meet our current expenses. Proposals to deal with this
immediately include:

                Meeting at Leigh’s house - she would have to work this out with
her family and probably could not commit to every week.

                Finding a place that would not charge us rent:

                Leigh will revisit the Woods at Canco as they did offer space.
Since we had decided a few weeks ago to do a small performance there early in
December, on a Thursday in conjunction with our regular rehearsal, this would
be a good time to check out what they have to offer.

                Rory will contact Whole Foods which seems to have a community
room at no charge.

3. Treasurers report
                Our bank balance is $488.00. We haven't been billed yet for
checks, (probably about $15) nor have we paid the Friends Meeting for 6 weeks
rent, $120. After these two expenses are satisfied we will be up to date. Most
folks are doing a pretty good job at keeping current with their payments.

                The observation was made, and agreed upon by many, that having
an accompanist for non a cappella pieces in very helpful, and paying for same a
goal. Another incentive to
                find free rehearsal space.

4.   December singing for recruitment, enjoyment, practice

                Since we don’t have any seasonal music prepared, we decided to
put this off, except for                         the mini concert at the Woods
at Canco.

5.  Steering Committee meeting time and location:
                At this time it works best for those willing to put in the time
for Steering Committee to meet at 6:00 on Thursdays at the rehearsal site.

6.  Dissemination of SC discussion, notes to PC - yes, no, at times, never
                Decided Yes, through the list serve. We also took a 5 minute
break at 8:00 to give a report verbally.

 Next Steering Committee meeting will be before rehearsal December 4, at 6:00
at Friends Meeting House. Please submit agenda items to Elissa,
elissa@xxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:elissa@xxxxxxxxxxxx> and/or join us!

Respectfully submitted by Elissa Armstrong

Do NOT “reply” to this email. It comes to you via a list serve and by choosing
“reply”, you will be replying to EVERYONE. If you want an individual email
address, contact Elissa, address above. Thank you.