[phillylinux] Re: Greetings and Meetings

  • From: Eric Wetzel <thewetzel@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: phillylinux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 07:56:58 -0400

I don't think I'm going to be able to make it tomorrow night. Perhaps
next month.

But to take Paul's idea and run with it, I will introduce myself and
my areas of 'expertise'.

I'm Eric. I've been using Linux since around 1998 or 1999, starting
with Slackware (between 2.0 and 3.0). My first Linux was installed and
configured by Paul. I use Gentoo primarily, but I have also used
Slackware, Ubuntu, Xubuntu, and I installed openSUSE once. My
non-Linux experiences are slightly more eclectic, including KolibriOS
and Haiku (a rewritten BeOS). By training, I am an electrical
engineer, but my trade also includes embedded software.

My focus recently has been on embedded platforms and open source
firmware. I do not have as much useful knowledge as Paul, but I'd be
willing to talk on the following subjects (even if the talk is
primarily a chronicle of my mistakes):
- gcc cross toolchains
- linux on embedded architectures (ARM/ucLinux)
- open source firmware (Canon digital cameras, routers, mp3 players)

Best regards,
~Eric