[phillylinux] Greetings and Meetings

  • From: The Nut <thenut@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: phillylinux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2009 12:33:17 -0400

With our upcoming meeting set for Wednesday March 25th, I thought I'd
throw this out to the group and see what everyone thinks.  Our last
meeting was a little free-form and while that's nice sometimes, I got
the feeling that a lot of us would like a little more structure.  We
talked briefly about topics for the next meeting, but I dont think we
really settled on anything (correct me if I'm wrong).

I think Eric was prepared to present some information about installing
linux on the wrt54g line of linksys routers if people are interested in
that.  I recently set up the "open-ish" dd-wrt firmware on one of these
and was floored at how much is has to offer in terms of enterprise-type
features.  I think this would be very worthwhile if he is still willing
to do this and people are interested.

I also figured I would run through a list of things that I'm
knowledgeable about in case anyone here would like to see those
presented at a future meeting.  With that, I suppose a bit of an
introduction is in order.

My name is Paul DiSciascio and I've been using linux since around 1994,
starting with Slackware 1.   I've been a Unix admin professionally since
2003.  Thus far, I have experience with Slackware, Debian, Redhat, Suse,
and Gentoo distros of linux as well as FreeBSD and openBSD, and AIX.
My distro of choice is Gentoo, but I'd be the first to admit that it's
not for everyone; we can get to the holy wars later.    Here is short
list of things we might want to consider as future topics on which I
would be willing to lead discussion:

- LVM and RAID - we had a brief conversation about this at our last meeting.
- PGP and Encryption - there seems to be a good bit of misunderstanding
of this in the group, and perhaps some people could benefit from some
more information on the subject(s)
- Compiling the Kernel - streamlining for specific tasks, what hardware
support you need and what you dont.
- writing udev rules - i just recently started writing my own rules to
name usb devices, automount stuff, etc
- shell scripting
- Nagios
- SSL concepts  - creating a CA, self-signed certs, client certs, etc
- openLDAP
- getting your LAMP architecture set up (Linux, Apache, Mysql, PHP/Perl)
- vi - it's the only editor you're guaranteed to find on a Unix system,
you really should know a little about it.

I would also encourage people to post any current problems they are
having so that maybe we can try to drive out more topics that way as well.

I apologize for the lengthy email, but the list has been fairly quiet,
so hopefully this will get the ball rolling a bit.

~Paul