[NYC Area Pharmacognosy List] Re: NYAS/Pepsi Science Day

  • From: Steven Maranz <s_maranz@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pharmacognosy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 May 2012 11:40:08 -0500

Hey Kurt, I hope you are doing okay--how is Johnson and Johnson working out for
you?  How about Jersey?I'm a "visiting scientist" at the North Carolina
Research Campus, which was built by Dole Foods billionaire David Murdock--it's
just a couple years old, still getting off the ground, and they had lab space
available, which I am renting with funds from a new Gates Foundation
explorations grant (vitamin A defiency project). As you might recall, I
previously worked in natural products chemistry in West Africa, concentrating
on shea, so I still have colleagues from that sector that I'm in touch with.
One reputable processor, Zac, is partnering with a German firm and is tapping
into a western Nigeria regional shea population that has really high
unsaponifiables--22.5% in his product.  For sunburn, scars and superficial
wound healing, it really works.  Would you be interested in having a sample to
try out?  I'm not in the shea business personally, and am not in the financial
loop on this, but I feel a certain loyalty to help people I've worked,
especially someone who has done a great job and gotten a great product
together.  I analyzed shea nuts from all across Africa, so I know phytochemical
profile differences between populations and I'm glad to see intelligent use of
the resource. Anyway, I've attached a certificate Zac sent from a German
lab--I'm not ecstatic about their work, but the unsaponifiables should be on
target, since it is in keeping with what I found. Take care, Steve
 Subject: [NYC Area Pharmacognosy List] NYAS/Pepsi Science Day
Date: Tue, 29 May 2012 09:12:10 -0400
From: KReynert@xxxxxxxxxxx
To: pharmacognosy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

http://www.nyas.org/landing/pepsico.aspx  On December 10, 2012, the New York
Academy of Sciences and PepsiCo will host a special Journey through Science Day
at the Academy's headquarters in New York City. Fifty exceptional students and
early career scientists (MS, PhD, postdoc) will be selected for this unique
opportunity to interact with PepsiCo's R&D leadership, learn about their
efforts to develop products rooted in science-based nutrition, and get an
exclusive glimpse of how science has shaped their careers. Additionally, each
participant will be asked to present a poster on their research to highlight
and share their own activities and interests with PepsiCo.