p_W_l_b Re: Time to talk about music. Here is my list of my top 100 songs of all time. I'm hoping for some fun debate about this top 100 list.

  • From: frank perry <frankperry2011@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: people_who_love_books@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2013 12:54:40 +1000

Nobody is commenting!  I thought this would be a real conversation starter.

It's a very pro male artists list for one thing.

Believe me some very hard decisions had to be made.

For instance, was I aiming for a theme?  No!

From a theme perspective, it's pretty balanced, on the one hand, I'm
on the road to hell, on the other hand, heaven can wait, and again,
I'm going up to the spirit in the sky.

On the one hand, I'm saying for crying out loud know that I love you,
on the other hand, you worn't in love with me, on the other hand, love
hurts, and on the other hand, love my way.

What about the songs ahead of their time, mi-sex taling about babies
conceived in testubes a few years before it actually happened, nobody
could forget space invaders.

there were some obvious classics, stairway to heaven and American pie,
has anyone worked out what the other verses of American pie are about.

Then there the rare songs,, for instance, Daryl Cotton in a top 100
list, how many people would have him in a top 100 list?

There were some difficult choices to make as well, perhaps I should
come up with a country all time 100 as well, because there have been
some fantastic country songs, Sunday morning coming down the Jonny
Cash version nearly made this list, as did several songs by Tammy
Wynette.  Kenny Rogers was unlucky as was hard candy Christmas by
Dolly Parton.

If this were a pure rock list, Pink Floyd, Jimmy Barns, Cold Chizel
and Blondy would have to make the list as would crowded house, Bonjovi
Fleetwood Mac, and a few others.

If this were a pure pop list, Michael Jackson would have to be
considered, Cindy Lorpa who wasn't a one hit wonder would be
considered, the eyrythmics would come into consideration as would Neil
Diamond.

If this were a pure country list, Ray Charles would definitely be
there, by far and away the best blind artist of all time.

If this list was a pure song writers list, Paul Kelly would be in the
list as would Martha Davis for songs sush as total control, take the
l, and only the lonely.

If we were considering pure religious songs, Keith Green's prodigal
son and Don Francisco's too smaller price would have to be in that
list as would highway to hell from A.C.D.C.

E L O  were unlucky to have not made this list as were a couple of
songs from Midnight Oil.

Madonna has only had a couple of songs which have used her natural
voice, which is why she was not considered.

Elton John may have had better songs and more popular songs than tiny
dancer, I was going for the piano playing in this song.

Tina cousins makes the list, simply because the lyrics of the chorus
of her song pray are simply brilliant.

Some songs which I considered have had too much airplay on radio,
working class man is a great song, still overplayed in my view.

Ian Moss's version of when the war is over is in my view a better song
than working class man, and you won't find many stations playing it
these days.

Belinda Carlyle had some great songs, leave a light on for me, heaven
is a place on earth and in to deep are a few.

Genesis were very close to consideration as was the original recording
of don't give up.

I did not set out to do this list as the greatest songs ever, because
let us face it, I wonna be a cowboy isn't going to make that list nor
is all the same by Daryl Braithwai.

Against the wind makes the list because of the scene in the Forest
Gump movie where it gets played as does get together.

The never ending story and together in electric dreams make the list,
simply because the movies with the exception of the never ending story
3 were really good.

Steevy Wonder wouldn't have made the list whatsoever in any style,
because whilst his music is terrific, there are better writers and
players of instruments than he is.

If this list were pure people who can play instruments really well,
Eric Clapton and Jimy Hendrix and Kenny G would have to be considered.

Obfiously, if this were a themed list, the list would undergo
significant changes.  For example, if this was purely a love sonsg
list, you weren't in love with me couldn't fit here.

Alvis and the beatles.

It is my view that Alvis and the beatles are already in too many
lists. Alvis is by far the better song writer, and better singer if it
comes to that in the Getto would make a story tellers song list.

You could in theory come up withs songs to suit most occasions, break
up songs, songs to pay in jail, truck songs even pub favourites.

Speaking of story telling songs, I am currently working on the top 100
songs where the singer is talling us a story.

You could even have meaningless songs, do do do da da da from the
police is a great song for this list.

If we were going to talk about great sporting songs, not only eye of
the tiger, Greg Champion and Micke Bradie along with a few parodies
from the footy show would have to be considered.

In the interests of research, the most popular name in songs in the
last 50 years has been Sarah, yep believe it or not you could do a
Sarah's list.

I might take on a one hit wonders list one of these days, trouble is,
some artists were one hit wonders here but not in their country of
origen, soft sell and europe are 2 examples of these groups.

I've seen Australian top 100 lists, but found some artists weren't
born here, not that this offends me or anything, but I would have
thought the criteria should be split into born here and then great
citizens.

Some artists simply shouldn't make any list, how some of those one hit
wonders got into the charts is beyond me.

You could do a best and worst cover versions list, human nature would
have to be the worst cover band of all time.

You could do a people who said they would retire then came back list,
John Farnham would be top of that list.

I would love to see other people doing lists on this list, even 10
songs would be enough.

--
Stay positive.
****