[pedevel] Re: file monitoring

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pedevel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 16:44:07 +0200 CEST

Rainer Riedl <mlist@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > It no longer tests file status in WindowActivated(), it only does
> > so on
> > B_NODE_MONITOR change messages; currently, it does not test if it
> > already
> > has a warning dialog open, so that needs to be improved.
> Hmm, perhaps the monitor should just set a flag when the file was
> changed
> and put up a popup when the window is activated. The way it is done
> now you
> get flooded with popups when multipe changes are done from outside. I
> think
> I don't care if a file has changed until I do something with the file
> in pe
> again (activate or global quit).

Yes, that's what I meant with "so that needs to be improved" :-)
I don't like having it pop up on window activation only, but I'll
change it so that no additional pop up windows are opened.

> Also the window should stay on same place on screen, just change the
> content. Perhaps the window state prefs must be saved before the
> reload.

That was a feature I didn't change - I'll have a look at it, though.

> How about an additional visual signal for a changed file like having
> the
> text background color some light gray (if it is white normally) or
> graying
> out the text color (seems that we have to extend the color prefs
> there)

Dunno about this. However, I think that the save dialog might want to
pop up when you press "save" afterwards. Not sure about this, though.

> > It now also detects name changes, and let the window title reflect
> > that.
> cool
>
> Btw, you are again my hero. By this change I now can switch on file
> monitoring again. Files opened from CIFs mounted volumes got changed
> popops
> everytime they were activated. :-)

At least something :)
It's not very clean, though, as the CDoc/PDoc abstraction is not really
that helpful here.

Bye,
   Axel.