[pedevel] Re: feature idea: function pop up window

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <bonefish@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pedevel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 01:48:16 +0200

On 2004-04-12 at 00:44:56 [+0200], Rainer Riedl wrote:

> > I actually like the current implementation for getting an overview of the
> > file I'm editing, but I can see that the navigation is not very fast.
>
> I also often use it to get an overview. The only thing I'am missing is
> (exept of a working implemention of it for php;-) the use of submenus for
> classes.
>
> I wonder how much files one normally has that forces the popup going in
> scrollmode. I don't think that that happens too often (in pe's source it
> only seems to be PText.cpp).

It's also PCmd.cpp -- at least with my resolution (1600x1200) -- and for
lower resolutions PDoc.cpp may have a chance, too. One property of large
source files often is, that they are central parts in a piece of software,
which makes it even more important that one can quickly navigate them.

In fact, as you say, to get a first overview the pop up menu is just fine.
It starts to get interesting when you work with the files. Scrolling in the
pop up menu is only the worst case. I would even want to avoid taking the
hand off the keyboard at all.

> Perhaps something like B_ITEMS_IN_MATRIX for
> the menu would help here allthough I'm not really sure if that is really
> implemented in BeOS.
>
> Another thing we should have in mind is that the popup is used for many
> languages and all of them perhaps have their own needs.

Sure, I for one would love to have a more efficient way to navigate the
OpenBeOS Jamrules file and Jambase. And while the former one will be subject
to `#pragma mark' additions the latter one is out of reach.

CU, Ingo