[pedevel] Re: Team leader of Pe?

  • From: "BiPolar" <BiPolar@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pedevel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 08 Feb 2004 01:03:13 -0300 ART

Oliver Tappe wrote:

> On 2004-02-06 at 05:16:24 [+0100], BiPolar wrote:
> >
> > Wishlist:
> >
> > - Per-language Glossaries.
> >   Currently you can only have one "glossary" (Templates seems a
> > better
> > name), and that's not optimal for people like me, that "speaks"
> > Pascal,
> > and "copy-paste" in C/C++.
>
> Agreed, it would be nice to be able to specify (at least parts of)
> the
> glossary with respect to the current language. Pe could then
> automatically
> select the appropriate glossary entry (the one matching the language
> of the
> current file).
> In order to make that work for the glossary window, too, we could
> switch
> from a listview to an outline-listview with the language as the first
> level, and the language specific glossary entries as the second. Does
> that
> make sense?

It does, but I think that it will be better to have theses "Templates"
as the Win editors UltraEdit or ConTEXT for example. I mean, it would
be cool if one could type "classd", hitting some shortcut, and get that
"classd" replaced by a full class declaration (just an example, could
be anything, like "case" + CMD-space to get a "fill in the blanks"
switch/case skeleton).

> I thought about grouping several prefs-settings as named styleguides
> which
> can be saved and applied as a whole.
> This would be very helpful for instance if you use Pe for projects
> that
> share the language but have different styleguides.
> OTOH, I could only think of the tab-width and tabbing style (hard/
> soft)
> making sense in this context, so it probably is a bit over the top.
> Any
> views on this?

There are other options that could fit better in this "style guides"
category than being globals or per-language. For example: "end file
with a new line" and Auto-indent (that's a feature request :-).

Regarding auto-indent, it is both language and style specific, same as
the use of hard/soft tabs. For example, I would like to type (in
Pascal) "begin", hitting enter, and get the cursor 2 space to the right
of the "b", while other pascal coders will prefer to start at 5 spaces
in this case.

Later,

Oscar.