[pedevel] Re: Team leader of Pe?

  • From: Oliver Tappe <pedevel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pedevel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2004 17:30:12 +0100

On 2004-02-06 at 05:16:24 [+0100], BiPolar wrote:

> Wishlist:
>
> - Per-language Glossaries.
>   Currently you can only have one "glossary" (Templates seems a better
> name), and that's not optimal for people like me, that "speaks" Pascal,
> and "copy-paste" in C/C++.

Agreed, it would be nice to be able to specify (at least parts of) the
glossary with respect to the current language. Pe could then automatically
select the appropriate glossary entry (the one matching the language of the
current file).
In order to make that work for the glossary window, too, we could switch
from a listview to an outline-listview with the language as the first
level, and the language specific glossary entries as the second. Does that
make sense?

> - Invert Text color on selections.
>   If the color used to highlight selections has a luminance of < 50 %,
> then the color of the text should change to have a luminance of nearly
> 100% (and the other way around too if the selection's color is dark).

Yes, and that should be pretty easy to implement, too.

> - Soft-tabs.
>   As in: replace tab with spaces (this feature is present in almost all
> the good editors).
> It will be even better if can be used in a per-language basis (I don't
> use tab chars on Pascal code, but it doesn't bothers me in other
> languages).

Tabbing-style (hard/soft) would be a file-specific setting, right?

I thought about grouping several prefs-settings as named styleguides which
can be saved and applied as a whole.
This would be very helpful for instance if you use Pe for projects that
share the language but have different styleguides.
OTOH, I could only think of the tab-width and tabbing style (hard/soft)
making sense in this context, so it probably is a bit over the top. Any
views on this?

> - "Trim trailing spaces on save" option.

Yep.

> - Fix the Horizontal Scrollbar.
>   It shouldn't be "enable" unless the text goes beyond the right border
> of the window. It should also not be so sensitive when you touch the knob
> with the mouse. Currently it "jumps" in a, way too big, interval.

I am not sure whether it will be straightforward to implement the "normal"
BTextview-like scrollbar behaviour, as I don't (yet) know how Pe organizes
the text internally.
However, I agree that at least the "jumpiness" should be fixed.

> - Bookmarks.
>   Toggled by CMD+SHIFT+n, with n = 0, 1, ... 9
>   Jump to "bookmark n" by hitting CMD-n

This should be pretty easy, unless we want to show an indicator for
bookmarks in the textview, which IMHO would be nice, but *will* complicate
things a bit...

cheers,
        Oliver