[pedevel] Re: Printing

  • From: Oliver Tappe <pedevel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pedevel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 18:48:58 +0200

On 2008-04-10 at 17:11:28 [+0200], Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx> wrote:

[ ... ]
> I personally never liked the split approach. When splitting I would
> obviously get only half the visible area for each of the views, which is
> pretty annoying, since I set the window size to what it is not for no
> reason. Also, I'm fan of the 80 colums limit, which means I have lots of
> horizontal space on the screen, but a vertical split uses none of it.
>
> I'd much rather be able to simply open the same document in another window.
> Oliver's refactoring proposal didn't say so explicitly, but I guess he meant
> to imply it, obviously the model should be separated from the views and
> controllers. I.e. we would have a PTextModel (or maybe just PText, if
> preferred), which would be shared between the windows, and a
> PTextSelectionModel, as well as view/editor and controller components, which
> would not be shared.

Yes, while I certainly did not say so, what I had in mind was a proper
separation of model and view/controller. When that's done, it should be easy
to implement all kinds of splits and tear-off-windows, too.
The only problem is that it is probably going to be rather a lot of work to
scrape out the model that must be hidden somewhere underneath PText.

Anyway, I am going to spend tomorrow trying to analyse PText and see what I
can do over the weekend. But please do not hold your breath - I've been doing
Perl-development during the last two years, so I will need some time to get
comfy with C++ again ;-)

cheers,
    Oliver