[pedevel] Re: Pe project files

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pedevel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2005 16:57:53 +0200 CEST

Oliver Tappe <pedevel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 2005-04-21 at 00:49:31 [+0200], Axel Dörfler wrote:
> > Oliver Tappe <pedevel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > Be's makefile-engine shows off a feature in Pe (and Eddie) that
> > > uses
> > > special markers to declare sourcefiles to the editor. If you open
> > > such
> > > a makefile in Pe, it showed a project-window (instead of normal
> > > text).
> > > This window behaved quite similar to a group-window (i.e. you see
> > > list of files, double-clicking on a file opens it and you can add
> > > /remove
> > > files).
> > And I didn't even know about that :-)
> I believe not a lot of people do. It took me ages to find out how
> these
> things are supposed to work in Pe (as it used to expect specific
> mimetypes,
> I just couldn't get it to open Jamfiles as projects).

I guess you've relieved the MIME type requirement a bit?
And your plan is to extend the feature so that one can abandon the <pe-
src> comments? That would be very nice, although changes to the Jamfile
would probably be complicated to do, then (using the project interface,
at least).

[...]
> > Pe definitely shows too many
> > useless options for me (some at least are useful when doing HTML,
> > but why
> > are they always shown and spread all over the menu?). It should
> > remember
> > the positions of all windows anyway, and not always open them at
> > the same
> > position (on top of the screen - centered would be much nicer
> > anyway).
> > Are there any plans to work on these things?
> Hm, don't know about the others, but my plan is to work on the
> project-file
> support and deal with the worst problems I encounter along the way.
> But I think one day we'll have to do a big refactoring step and
> rework the
> GUI (Rainer had started work on that already, but then RL
> intervened).

Oh, who else is working (more or less actively) on Pe anyway? I always
thought it would just be you...

> > I also wonder why undo/redo got "Y" as shortcut, and not "Z" as in
> > almost
> > every other application I know.
> I bet that's because Maarten is from the Netherlands, so for him <CMD
> >-Y is
> easier to type than <CMD>-Z...

That's a good candidate for a quick change :-)

> Back to the columnlistview-topic, I wonder if anyone has experience
> with
> Be's columnlistview?
> My own experience is limited to Santa's ColumnListView, which is
> designed
> in a not-so-object-oriented manner, but is known to work reliably.
> I have heard that Be's columnlistview is buggy, but that there is a
> better
> version around (being used in Vision). Does anyone have first-hand
> experience with that one? Just how good is it?

I think this question would best be asked on the general BeDev mailing
list - I know that there were several people working on it, and AFAICT
it should be usable.
René can probably tell you more about this, too.

Bye,
   Axel.