[pedevel] Re: Document window positioning

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <bonefish@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pedevel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 23:33:24 +0200 (MEST)

On 2005-05-25 at 18:53:35 [+0200], Axel Dörfler wrote:
[ 8< ]

BTW about the default document position: how about using the frame of unsaved windows as default position? Ie. you open a new window in Pe, move it to the position you want to have, and close it again - voilà, you have a new default position for new windows.

Sounds like a nice idea to me.

+1 from me. :-)

Would that be too unobtrusive? (at least it would save another
preferences entry)

Well, it surely would have to find its way into the documentation, as otherwise it probably would be pretty hard to find out... (well, as noone is reading documentation anyway, it'll still be, but at least we'd have an excuse then >;o)

Anyway, I am going to implement that (default document position) soon, and
while at it, I am probably going to improve Pe's handling of multiple new
windows a bit: currently Pe moves each new window somewhat towards the left
and bottom of the one opened last, but it actually shrinks the window
vertically (i.e. the frame bottom of all windows stays the same). This I
find pretty weird, so I would like to get rid of it (again, unless semeone
shows me a good reason to keep that behaviour).

If you would also kill the `force complete window on screen' behavior -- i.e. if in the last session a document window was partially out of screen it will appear at the same position but shrunk to completely fit on screen (with a margin even, IIRC) when opened next time -- you'd be my personal hero of the month. ;-)

(I hope I haven't missed that it has already been changed. :-)

CU, Ingo