[pedevel] Re: Building on Haiku, /boot/common instead of /boot/home/config?

  • From: "scott mc" <scottmc2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pedevel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2008 14:28:40 -0700

On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 2:06 PM, François Revol <revol@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>> "scott mc" <scottmc2@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> > Here's a patch that fixes all but one of the warnings, and in one
>> > case
>> > turned up a possible typo.  There was a %F in a strftime() I
>> > changed
>> > it to %Y %c %d which would be 2008 Oct 9 for today's date, in
>> > HeaderHeader.cpp, or should it be %D which would be mm/dd/yy.  This
>> > is
>> > used in the generated header when you select headerheader with a
>> > created field in it.
>>
>> I don't understand this patch, and since François is to blame for
>> this
>> particular component, I guess he should have a look.
>>

> Well %F seems to work here in Zeta... doesn't work in Haiku yet ?
>
> According to http://linux.die.net/man/3/strftime
> %F
>    Equivalent to %Y-%m-%d (the ISO 8601 date format). (C99)
>
> I used this because here in France we use dd/mm/yy which is much saner,
> but since others use so weird mm/dd/yy one never knows if 01/02/79 is
> my birth date or not. Using this format makes sure the date can't be
> missinterpreted.
> As the man page says:
> %D
>    Equivalent to %m/%d/%y. (Yecch -- for Americans only. Americans
> should note that in other countries %d/%m/%y is rather common. This
> means that in international context this format is ambiguous and should
> not be used.) (SU)
>

> François.

Well I opted for %Y %b %d, which is nearly the same as %Y %m %d but
the %b gives Oct, instead of 10, so there's no question if it's
talking about a day or the month... so today's date would show as 2008
Oct 22
But yeah %F didn't work in Haiku, at least not a month or so ago when
i tried it.
Checking the internet, looks like ISO8601 defines it like %F would do:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_8601
So probably best to fix this one in Haiku then:
http://dev.haiku-os.org/ticket/2907
I don't recall why I had to comment out that section of code in
HeaderHeader.cpp.
In rez_parser.y I removed a duplicate STRING token, as it gave a
warning when building.
-scottmc

-scottmc